Vegan Firecracker Burgers! We are bringing the heat with this irresistible burger.
Ignite a burst of flavor with this deliciously spicy and easy Vegan Firecracker Burgers recipe! These tasty veggie burgers are sure to delight with the first bite! A bold hot sauce glaze gives this burger its signature name. A tender, but not mushy interior with a caramelized exterior makes this burger special. Top it with some vegan mayo (or vegan blue cheese/ranch dressing), lettuce, and tomato and you are sure to get rave reviews.
Whole Food Plant Based, Vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
Hi there, Ameera here!
We are so excited to introduce this Vegan Firecracker Burgers! This burger is so much fun! It’s perfect for summer barbecues, picnics, tailgating and so much more. We absolutely loved it.
The hot sauce glaze gives it an extra boost of delicious flavor and a kick of heat. We love Frank’s Hot Sauce. It’s Whole Food Plant Based and so gosh darned yummy!
What I think took it over the top from super yummy to crazy delicious is placing it on a toasted bun with shredded lettuce, juicy sliced tomatoes, and a nice dollop of vegan mayonnaise. The cooling lettuce, tomatoes and mayo contrasted beautifully with the spicy heat of the burger. I could eat these babies every day, all day long! So gooood!
Tips for Success:
- Refrigerated Rice: It is important to use rice that has been cooked and cooled in the refrigerator. Using freshly made rice will result in a gummy burger.
- Patty Formation: With slightly dampened hands pack the patties in your hand to form a firm, smooth cohesive ball, then press down while it is still in your hands and form a flattened disk. Take the time to really smooth out the sides. This helps prevent the burger from cracking while it is baking. They may crack a tiny bit, but you want to make sure you want to shore up the edges before it goes in the oven.
- Thickness of the patty: The thickness of this burger is another area within your control. We made multiple kitchen tests and preferred a ¾ inch thick patty.
- Spicy Burger: This burger gets its heat from the Frank’s Hot Sauce. If you are not a fan of hot sauce, then this burger isn’t for you.
Leftovers and Freezing:
Leftovers will generally keep for 4-5 days in the refrigerator. Store in a covered container. Reheating can be done on the oven, or in the microwave.
These burgers are freezer friendly. To freeze them, simply make them, cool completely to room temperature, then wrap them individually in plastic wrap, then place the individually wrapped patties into a freezer bag. You can pull one out at a time, microwave, and devour!
Pantry Products Used:
Tamari: We used San J Tamari Soy Sauce, Gluten Free, Reduced Sodium. You can substitute the tamari with reduced sodium soy sauce, Braggs Liquid Aminos, or Braggs Coconut Liquid Aminos.
Rolled Oats: Use whole grain rolled oats, not instant oats. We used Bob’s Red Mill Rolled Oats (Whole Grain).
Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients.
Hot Sauce: We used Frank’s RedHot Original Hot Sauce.
Kitchen Products Used:
- Whisk Food processor
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment paper
We certainly hope you give these tasty burgers a try.Print
Irresistible, delicious, and easy, this oil-free Vegan Firecracker Burgers recipe is bringing the heat for an amazing dinner or picnic meal.
- ½ cup cooked and refrigerated brown rice *
- ½ cup rolled oats *
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari *
- 1 Tablespoon tahini
- 1 Tablespoon low-sodium vegetable broth *
- ½ teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup hot sauce *
- 3 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
Optional Other Ingredients:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Place all the Spice/Herb Ingredients into a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Place the cooked and refrigerated brown rice and oats into a food processor and process just until slightly broken up, about 10 seconds, do not pulverized them.
- Then add all the remaining Base Ingredients and the Spice/Herb Mix to the food processor, pulse off and on until the all the ingredients are mixed well.
- Form a large ball, then divide into 4 patties. Pick up each ball with slightly dampened hands and form a smooth ball, then flatten into about a ¾ inch thick patty and place on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Continue until all the patties are made. (See notes on burger formation)
- Place in a preheated 350 F oven (center rack) and bake for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the Firecracker glaze by placing all the Glaze Ingredients into a small saucepan, whisk well to combine, then cook over medium heat until boiling. Then immediately reduce the heat. Cook for 4 minutes until hot, bubbling, and thick. Then remove from the stove, set aside.
- After the burgers have been in the oven 20 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and place a tablespoon of the glaze over top of each burger. Spread it out to the edges, then flip it over. Then place another tablespoon of the glaze on top of the burger and spread the glaze out and allow to go down the edges, ensure the burger is completely coated, then place back in the oven for 15 minutes.
- After the 15 minutes has expired, remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes to set up before serving on your favorite toasted burger bun or wrap with shredded lettuce, vegan mayonnaise and sliced tomatoes.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.