Vegan Zaatar Chickpea Salad! We love the versatility of chickpea salads, and we’ve got a new flavorful salad that is sure to get your taste buds tingling!
Zaatar spice shines like a star in this Vegan Zaatar Chickpea Salad that is both healthy and delicious. Hearty chickpeas, crisp red bell peppers, and zesty red onions are coated in a Middle Eastern zaatar spice infused sauce. It’s savory, tangy, and full of flavor. A great meal prep lunch that is sure to satisfy.
Whole Food Plant Based, Vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
Hi there, Ameera here!
We love chickpea salads, and we love zaatar, so this one was a no-brainer. However, let me say that zaatar can be an acquired taste. Mom hated it the first time she tried it, but it really grew on her over time and now she loves it.
Yasmeen absolutely loves zaatar. Her Jiddo (grandpa in Lebanese) makes her zaatar bread all the time and she devours it. Thank you Jiddo!!! <3
She loved this chickpea salad in a pita with our Oil Free Lebanese Cucumber Salata (Salad).
You gotta give this one a try!
Tips for Success:
- Flavor Profile: Zaatar (Za’atar) seasoning is the major flavor profile of this recipe. Zaatar seasoning is savory dried blend of different herbs generally made of the following: dried oregano, wild thyme, sumac, and toasted sesame seeds. Different regions may add, subtract, or change the amounts of the basic ingredients like adding coriander, cumin, and salt.
- Zaatar Seasoning: My father-in-law makes his own special blend of zaatar. We love his blend. We have tried many different blends and have found that most of the brands and blends are delicious providing you love zaatar. Zaatar can be an acquired taste. We have friends, relatives, and neighbors who love zaatar and others who hate it. It’s one of those things that you tend to either love or hate. Also note that some zaatar blends are stronger than others, so start with less and build up the amount to suit your personal preferences.
- Cashew Substitutes: You can try the typical cashew substitutes: silken tofu, white beans (pureed), other nuts or seeds with the understanding that the flavor and texture will change accordingly. You may need to adjust/add ingredients to compensate. We have not tested any substitutions.
- Cucumber Salad: We paired this chickpea salad with our Oil Free Lebanese Cucumber Salata (Salad).
- Pitas: We made our own homemade Healthy Whole Grain Pita Bread. We have also used Food For Life Brand’s pita bread as well. Use your favorite pita.
Leftovers and Freezing:
Leftovers will generally keep 3 days in the refrigerator. Store in a covered container.
This chickpea salad does not freeze well.
- Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
- High-speed blender
- Potato masher (or fork)
We certainly hope you give this flavorful chickpea salad a try! If you try it, please leave us a review! Post a picture on Facebook or Instagram and tag us! We would love to hear from you.Print
Vegan Zaatar Chickpea Salad
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 20 Minutes
- Yield: 2.5 Cups 1x
- Category: Salad, Lunch
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern Inspired
- Diet: Vegan
Zaatar spice shines like a star, this Vegan Zaatar Chickpea Salad that is both healthy and delicious.
- 1 – [ 15.5 oz. can ] chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup finely diced red onions (or white or green)
- 1 cup small-diced red bell peppers (or green)
- ¼ cup [raw] cashews *
- ¼ cup + 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar (+/-)
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons zaatar (+/-) *
- ¼ to ¾ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- Inside a pita, wrap, or lettuce cup
- Oil Free Lebanese Cucumber Salata
- Healthy Whole Grain Pita Bread
- Place the raw cashews into a small bowl, cover with boiling water, allow to soak for 15 minutes. Then drain, and discard the water, and place into a high-speed blender.
- Add all the remaining Dressing Ingredients into the high-speed blender along with the soaked cashews. Blend on high for one to two minutes or until smooth and emulsified. Set aside.
- Place the chickpeas into a medium-sized bowl, using a potato masher (or fork), give the chickpeas a rough mash, then add all the remaining Base Ingredients. Mix well to evenly distribute.
- Pour the dressing over the chickpea mixture, mix well.
- Allow to sit for several minutes for the flavors to marry.Taste test, adjust flavors by adding ingredients, if needed. Serve and enjoy!
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: Makes 2 ½ cups
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.
Hi, this looks delicious and I’d love to try it. You mention miso in the pantry section of this page, but I don’t see miso listed in the ingredients list. Is this an additional ingredient in the dressing and if so, how much do you add?
Hi there Chuck,
Thank you for your question. The Miso mention in the pantry section was a typo. It is not listed in the recipe. We have updated the pantry section.
-Ameera and Robin 🙂