Zaatar spice shines like a star, this Vegan Zaatar Chickpea Salad that is both healthy and delicious.
- 1 – [ 15.5 oz. can ] chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup finely diced red onions (or white or green)
- 1 cup small-diced red bell peppers (or green)
- ¼ cup [raw] cashews *
- ¼ cup + 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar (+/-)
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons zaatar (+/-) *
- ¼ to ¾ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- Place the raw cashews into a small bowl, cover with boiling water, allow to soak for 15 minutes. Then drain, and discard the water, and place into a high-speed blender.
- Add all the remaining Dressing Ingredients into the high-speed blender along with the soaked cashews. Blend on high for one to two minutes or until smooth and emulsified. Set aside.
- Place the chickpeas into a medium-sized bowl, using a potato masher (or fork), give the chickpeas a rough mash, then add all the remaining Base Ingredients. Mix well to evenly distribute.
- Pour the dressing over the chickpea mixture, mix well.
- Allow to sit for several minutes for the flavors to marry.Taste test, adjust flavors by adding ingredients, if needed. Serve and enjoy!
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: Makes 2 ½ cups