Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Burgers! Buffalo lovers rejoice, these taste bud tingling burgers are sure to please!
Healthy, easy, and flavorful, these Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Burgers are bursting with the perfect POW of buffalo heat. Made with hearty chickpeas, rice, and oats, then loaded with some hot sauce heat, you won’t believe how tasty these burgers are.
Whole Food Plant Based, Vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
Hi there, Ameera here!
Since Mom and I started blogging, we always try to make a special recipe for each of our birthdays. So, when Mom asked me what I wanted for my birthday recipe, I had been thinking about this for several weeks. I was ready with a quick answer: Buffalo Chickpea Burgers!
I love me some Frank’s Hot Sauce, and I love Whole Food Plant Based burgers. The perfect combination!
You gotta give this one a try!
Tips for Success:
- Flavor Profile: These Buffalo Chickpea Burgers are flavored with Frank’s Hot Sauce. If you are not a fan of Frank’s, then perhaps this recipe is not for you. You get a great buffalo flavor without over doing it on the spice. They are crispy on the outside and moist and tender on the inside.
- Refrigerated Rice: It is important to use rice that has been cooked and cooled in the refrigerator. Using freshly made rice will result in a gummy burger.
- Patty Formation: With slightly dampened hands pack the patties in your hand to form a firm, smooth cohesive ball, then press down while it is still in your hands and form a flattened disk. Take the time to really smooth out the sides. This helps prevent the burger from cracking while it is baking. They may crack a tiny bit, but you want to make sure you want to shore up the edges before it goes in the oven.
- Thickness of the Burger: The thickness of this burger is another area within your control. We made multiple kitchen tests and preferred a 5/8-inch-thick burger. The diameter of the burgers is about 3 ½ inches. We like them on the thinner side.
- Texture of the Burger: These burgers have a crunchy exterior with a moist interior.
- Spicy Burger: This burger gets its heat from the Frank’s Hot Sauce. If you are not a fan of hot sauce, then this burger isn’t for you. You can taste the burger mixture before it goes in the oven to get a sense of what it will taste like. If it does not pack enough heat for you, feel free to add some cayenne pepper, not more frank’s hot sauce as the added liquid will impact the integrity of the burger.
- Tahini: The tahini is used to slightly temper the Frank’s flavor, to make it more smooth, and to add some “glue” to the patty mixture. You can replace the tahini with other nut or seed butters with the understanding that the flavor will change accordingly.
- Freezer Friendly: To freeze them, simply make them, cool completely to room temperature, then wrap them individually in plastic wrap, then place the individually wrapped patties into a freezer bag. You can pull one out at a time, microwave, and devour!
Leftovers and Freezing:
Leftovers will generally keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
These burgers freeze well.
- Rolled Oats: Use whole grain rolled oats, not instant oats. We used Bob’s Red Mill Rolled Oats (Whole Grain).
- Hot Sauce: We used Frank’s RedHot Original Hot Sauce.
- Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
- Food processor
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment paper
If you try these flavorful burgers, we would love to know if you enjoy it as much as we do! Please leave us a review! Post a picture on Facebook or Instagram and tag us! We would love to hear from you.Print
Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Burgers
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- Total Time: 55 Minutes
- Yield: 4 Burgers 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
Healthy, easy, and flavorful, these Vegan Buffalo Chickpea Burgers are bursting with the perfect POW of buffalo heat.
- ½ cup cooked and refrigerated brown rice *
- ½ cup rolled oats *
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon hot sauce *
- 1 Tablespoon tahini
- ½ teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- Toasted Burger Buns (or wraps)
- Shredded Lettuce
- Sliced tomatoes
- Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing
- Vegan Ranch Dressing
- Vegan Mayonnaise
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Place the cooked and refrigerated brown rice and rolled oats into a food processor and process just until slightly broken up, about 7 seconds, do not pulverized them.
- Then add all the remaining Base Ingredients and the Spice/Herb Ingredients to the food processor, pulse off and on until the all the ingredients are mixed well.
- Place the burger mixture into a large bowl. Form a large ball, then divide into 4 patties. Pick up each ball in your hands and form a smooth ball, and place on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Press the burger patty down to create a 3 ½ inch diameter patty with about a 5/8-inch thickness. Continue until all the patties are made. (See notes on burger formation). You may need to wash your hands after the 2nd patty formation if the mixture sticks to your hands too much.
- Place the burgers in a preheated 350 F oven (center rack) and bake for 20 minutes.
- After the burgers have been in the oven 20 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven, then flip the burgers over, then place back in the oven for 20 minutes.
- After the 20 minutes, remove from the oven, and allow to sit for 5 minutes to set up before serving on your favorite toasted burger bun or wrap with shredded lettuce, vegan mayonnaise, vegan bleu cheese dressing, or vegan ranch dressing, and/or sliced tomatoes.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.