This simple rice cooker Mexican Rice is so easy and flavorful. It makes for a perfect side dish. Whole Food Plant Based, oil free, refined sugar free, no processed ingredients to minimally processed ingredients, and gluten free!
Hi there! Ameera here!
This Mexican rice is so good, and super easy. You just pop everything into a rice cooker (or similar device), set it, and forget it. We call it restaurante style rice as it duplicates the simplicity of Mexican-Spanish rice that you find in a restaurant; light and fluffy grains of seasoned perfection. We absolutely love it.
Mexican Rice – Spanish Rice – Which is it?
Whether you call it Mexican Rice or Spanish Rice, I have found that in most cases they are used interchangeably. I just call it “yummy”!
Fail proof you say?
This simple recipe is quick to make in a pinch along with the Spicy Black Beans for our delicious Quesadillas. Because you use a rice cooker, it is assembled in less than 5 minutes, and then you are on to do other things until your rice cooker beeps when it is done.
A great Mexican rice should be flavorful and fluffy enough to eat straight from the rice cooker and this one is exactly that. It truly is a pot of goodness. We love stuffing it in burritos as well as topping it on our Salsa Veggie Bowl.
Mom and Katie
Mom and Katie are Southwestern food fanatics. They love anything with a Southwestern flair. The Whole Food Plant Based lifestyle really lends itself to making amazing Southwestern style foods as you can easily.
It’s true. I typically love any Southwestern dish. Canton used to have an awesome Mexican restaurant (not authentic) where I loved to have my birthday dinners until they closed several years ago. I admit, I love the Americanized Mexican restaurants as much as the authentic Mexican restaurants.
TP used to get so mad whenever we went to Mexican restaurants as he said he could never get full. I think it was all in his head, as he would consume huge quantities of chips and salsa while waiting for his dinner. He would also order tons of food so I have no clue how he could leave still hungry. Geez man, where do you put it all?
Products used in this recipe
- Rice Cooker or Instant Pot
Yield 4 - 6 Serves
This simple steam cooker Mexican Rice is so easy and flavorful. It makes for a perfect side dish to accompany all your Southwestern dishes. Whole Food Plant Based, oil free, refined sugar free, no processed ingredients to minimally processed ingredients, and gluten free!
- 1 1/2 cup rices - uncooked, rinsed and drained (rice of your choice, we have found that Della Light Brown Basmati works really well)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup vegetable broth (we used Pacific Organic Vegetable Broth)
- Pinch dried jalapeno pepper flakes (optional)
- Chopped green onions
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine the dry spices in a small bowl, stir to incorporate. Set aside.
- Combine tomato sauce, water and vegetable broth together. Set aside.
- Rinse and drain 1 1/2 cups of rice, then place in a rice cooker.
- Combine the dry spices to the liquids and mix well to incorporate, then add to the rice cooker, gently stir.
- Set the rice cooker to the appropriate setting.
- When the rice is done, transfer to a serving bowl, fluff with a fork.
- Enjoy as a delicious side dish or incorporate into your favorite Southwestern dishes.
Cuisine Mexican, Southwestern
Storage: Cool to warm, place in glass/plastic storage and refrigerate. Use within 7 days.