This simple steam cooker Mexican Rice is so easy and flavorful. It makes for a perfect side dish to accompany all your Southwestern dishes. Whole Food Plant Based, oil free, refined sugar free, no processed ingredients to minimally processed ingredients, and gluten free!
- 1 1/2 cup rices – uncooked, rinsed and drained (rice of your choice, we have found that Della Light Brown Basmati works really well)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup vegetable broth (we used Pacific Organic Vegetable Broth)
- Pinch dried jalapeño pepper flakes* or 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded, cut in rings
- Chopped green onions
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Sliced jalapeño
- Combine the dry spices in a small bowl, stir to incorporate. Set aside.
- Combine tomato sauce, water and vegetable broth together. Set aside.
- Rinse and drain 1 1/2 cups of rice, then place in a rice cooker.
- Combine the dry spices to the liquids and mix well to incorporate, then add to the rice cooker, gently stir. Stir in the jalapeño.
- Set the rice cooker to the appropriate setting.
- When the rice is done, transfer to a serving bowl, fluff with a fork.
- Enjoy as a delicious side dish or incorporate into your favorite Southwestern dishes.
* Dried Jalapeño Flakes: We love Penzeys dried jalapeño flakes. They pack a really nice punch of heat without adding a ton of heat.