Bringing all those amazing Southwestern flavors together with this delicious and hearty Inside-Out Southwestern Stuffed Peppers dish. Beautiful, rainbow veggies all coated in delicious aromatic Southwestern spices! Serve this fast, low-fat, and wholesome dish over steam rice or baked potatoes with avocado slices, fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of lime! You just know it’s going to be good, making it this week’s awesome Whip It Up Wednesday recipe.
Whole Food Plant Based, Vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
Hi there, Ameera here!
This week’s Whip It Up Wednesday recipe is inspired by my love of a great stuffed pepper! Mom makes them all the time, but we decided to deconstruct a stuffed pepper to make it faster and a whole lot easier!
I don’t know about you, but when we make rice, we make a lot – simply because we love to eat it, even plain! AND we love starch toppers: saucy, veggie-packed dishes that are perfect for ladling over rice and potatoes.
We were in the mood for comforting stuffed peppers, but not in the mood for the preparation and turning on the over, so we decided to create a quick and easy version without all the extra work. A perfect recipe for those busy weekdays.
We simply deconstructed a stuffed pepper and took it to the next level of Southwestern deliciousness! Boy o boy, is it tasty! We loved it! We originally just thought “steamed rice,” but we caught Dad eating it over a baked potato, and we thought, “Well heck, why not?” Right?
Whip it up Wednesday
As you already know, every Wednesday, we feature a quick and easy recipe that can be “whipped up” in 20 minutes or less. This recipe can be made in about 20 minutes.
I’ll let Mom tell you more!
Hi! Robin here.
If you love a great stuffed pepper, then you’ll enjoy these deconstructed Inside-Out Southwestern Stuffed Peppers. All the tastiness with half the work!
You don’t have to boil the peppers to soften the pepper shells. You don’t have to stuff the shells or bake in the oven. All that prep work is gone!
We hope you enjoy our new Whip It Up Wednesday quick and easy ideas!
In saying all that, if you are looking for a great old-fashioned stuffed pepper recipe. Check this one out: Old-Fashioned Stuff Peppers recipe.
More Southwestern Recipes:
- Vegan Smoky Southwestern Mac
- Tex-Mex Pasta Salad
- No Oil Southwestern Dressing
- Tex-Mex Rice Salad
- Tex-Mex Creamed Corn
- Text-Mex Chili Mac
- Ceramic/enamel lined deep skillet, nonstick deep skillet, or similarly large skillet with a lid
Fast, low-fat, and wholesome, this hearty Inside-Out Southwestern Stuffed Peppers is brimming with rainbow veggies and aromatic Southwestern spices!
- 1 cup red onion, fine diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, fine dice
- 1 red bell pepper, small dice
- 1 green bell pepper, small dice
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- ¼ cup low-sodium vegetable broth *
- ¼ cup water (or broth)
- 2 Tablespoon nutritional yeast (+/-)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice (+/-)
- 1 – [ 14 oz. can ] petite diced tomatoes *
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] black beans, drained and rinsed *
- 1 – 15 oz. can ] corn, drained *
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (+/-)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (+/-)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (+/-)
- ½ teaspoon Mexican oregano (optional) *
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Avocado slices
- Pickled/Fresh jalapeno slices
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Steamed rice
- Baked potatoes
- Measure out the Herb/Spice ingredients into a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined Dutch oven, skillet or similar stock pot, add the diced onions, jalapenos, and bell peppers, sauté over medium-high heat until the veggies begin to soften, approximately 7 to 9 minutes, stirring periodically to prevent burning. Add a tablespoon or so of water if they start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Add the minced garlic, Herb/Spice mix, sauté for 1 minute stirring constantly to allow the spices to release their fragrance, then add the water, vegetable broth, and petite diced tomatoes, stir well, scraping the bottom of the pan to deglaze it. Then all the remaining Skillet Ingredients, stir to combine, increase the heat to a boil, then immediately lower to a simmer. Cover and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve over steamed rice (or baked potatoes) and top your favorite toppings.
*Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients.
*Mexican Oregano: If you don’t have Mexican Oregano on hand, you can use regular oregano or just leave it out.
*Spices: You can use as little or as much spices as you wish to get the desired flavor as most chili powders have varying levels of heat and spiciness. Start on the low end and build up.
*Jalapeno Peppers: Jalapeno peppers have varying levels of heat. You may need to ramp up some spices if the jalapeno pepper you are using is mild.
*Flavor Substitutes: You can exchange the petite diced tomatoes for fire-roasted petite diced tomatoes. You can do the same with the corn, you can substitute the corn for fire-roasted corn for extra depth of flavor.
*Broth: This dish has a nice amount of “sauce” with it. If you find that the dish is too dry after refrigerating, in other words, all the sauce got soaked up, then add a little more water or veggie broth, or you can add some of your favorite salsa to boost up the flavor after refrigeration.
*Beans: Feel free to use your favorite beans.
*Veggies: Feel free to add your favorite veggies: squash, zucchini, etc. If adding additional veggies, you may wish to scale back on other major ingredients like corn and beans to avoid a dry dish.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Makes: 5 to 6 servings
*Storage: Refrigerate, use within 5 days.
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.