Super easy to make, this flavorful, healthy, and delicious Tex-Mex Rice Salad is a wholesome twist and packed with nourishing plant powerhouse goodness. Protein-packed black beans, sweet corn, rich tomatoes, hearty rice, refreshing lettuce, and zesty red onions all mixed with a deliciously spicy Chipotle Lime Dressing that is absolutely perfect for busy weeknight dinners, lunches, and potlucks, making it this week’s awesome Whip It Up Wednesday recipe.
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients, and gluten free.
Hi there, Ameera here!
This week’s Whip It Up Wednesday is our delicious Tex-Mex Rice Salad. This dish was inspired by Recipe Tin Eats “Cowboy Rice Salad” with some whole food plant based twists and turns. And wow-oh-wow, this WFPB version really delivers a great, quick, and easy salad for busy weeknights and lunches.
Who doesn’t love a great Tex-Mex Salad? I mean, come on – they are just so flavorful and delicious. Mom and I get gah-gah over this tasty salad. We scarfed it down like our lives depended on it. It is just so easy and delicious.
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.
Make sure you read the recipe notes on using cooked and refrigerated rice. Recently cooked rice can work, but refrigerated rice works best.
Whip it up Wednesday
As you know Mom and I create a 20-minute meal every Wednesday for your Whip It Up Wednesday recipe.
This one comes together pretty quickly, it just really depends upon your knife chopping skills. Mom and I are in the kitchen all the time, so we have gotten pretty efficient at getting the chopping done.
It technically serves between 3 and 4; however, Mom and I ate it all up every time we kitchen tested it. LOL
We hope you enjoy our new Whip It Up Wednesday quick and easy ideas!
Super easy to make, this flavorful 20-minute Tex-Mex Rice Salad is a wholesome twist and packed with nourishing plant powerhouse goodness. Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients, and gluten free.
This recipe was inspired by Recipe Tin Eats “Cowboy Rice Salad”
- 4 cups lettuce greens, fine chop
- 2 ½ cups refrigerated cooked brown rice *
- 1 cup corn
- 1 – [ 15.5 oz. can ] black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup seeded tomatoes, small dice
- ¼ cup red onions, fine dice
Chipotle Lime Dressing Ingredients:
- 3 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon organic maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon white miso *
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onions
- ¼ teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon chipotle powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- Sliced avocadoes
- Freshly chopped cilantro
- Pickled jalapeno peppers (or freshly sliced jalapeno peppers)
- Heat the refrigerated cooked rice, then set aside to come to room temperature, set aside.
- Place the all the Chipotle Lime Dressing Ingredients into a small bowl, whisk until smooth and emulsified, set aside.
- Prepare all the vegetables (shredded lettuce, seeded tomatoes, diced red onions) and place into a large bowl, then add the room temperature rice, black beans and corn. Toss to evenly distribute the salad ingredients; then drizzle with the Chipotle Lime Dressing while tossing.
- Taste test and add adjust seasonings accordingly.Serve with sliced avocados, freshly chopped cilantro, and pickled jalapeño peppers.
*Cooked and Refrigerated Rice: Cooked and refrigerated rice works best when making this dish. If you use recently cooked rice, it will be too gummy and sticky. Using cooked and refrigerated rice (preferably made the day before or earlier in the day) allows the rice to dry out enough to showcase distinct individual grains of rice making a better textured dish. We then microwave the refrigerated rice to heat it up, then allow it to come to room temperature. We suggest microwaving the rice as the first step as by the time you are done chopping the vegetables (shredded lettuce, chopped red onion, and seeded tomatoes), the rice will no longer be hot. It is fine if it is still slightly warm. Do not place refrigerated cold rice directly into the salad. It will be too cold. Heating it and allowing it to cool off works best.
*Miso: We used Miso Master Organic Mellow White Premium Lite Miso, Certified Gluten Free. Miso really lends itself to balancing flavors when you don’t use oil. You can also use chickpea miso for a soy free version.
*Pickled Jalapeno Peppers: We used Mezzetta Deli-Sliced Tamed Jalapeno Peppers. They have such amazing flavor. Make sure you get the “tamed” jar and not the hot jar. Or you can use fresh sliced jalapeno peppers. Both are optional to this dish.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: 3 to 4
*Storage: Refrigerate and use within 5 days.