Easy Mediterranean Chickpeas with Rice! How to dress up chickpeas? Simmer in a flavorful tomato broth brimming with aromatic spices.
This one pot Easy Mediterranean Chickpeas with Rice dish is budget-friendly, delicious, and oh-so-satisfying! Serve over steamed rice for a healthy meal that is filling and comes together in 30 minutes.
Whole Food Plant Based, Vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
Hi there, Ameera here!
We love an easy recipe that comes together quickly, is budget friendly, and tastes delicious – a win, win, win!
You gotta give this one a try!
Tips for Success:
- Flavor Profile: This tasty dish is brimming with Mediterranean flavors. It is super easy to make and tastes great over steamed rice.
- Moderately Saucey: This dish has some sauciness to it. We have family members who wanted a lot of sauce while others enjoyed it as is. We want the Reader to be aware that this dish is not overly saucy.
- Low-Fat Dish Expectations: This dish was designed to be low in fat. Because it is low in fat, you are not going to experience that endorphin rush associated with eating high-fat foods when eating this dish. It is very tasty for what it is, and that is a low-fat dish. We just want to make sure that our Readers recognize this when contemplating making this recipe. If you wish to make it more indulgent, add a dollop of hummus on individual servings.
- Regular Chili Powder: Feel free to use your favorite chili powder, just be sure to select a mild one and not one that has a lot of heat to it.
- Baking Soda: Baking soda is often used as a neutralizer for dishes that contain a lot of acidity, typically from tomatoes. We use it in this dish to remove some of the tomato acidity (from the tomato paste) without losing the tomatoey flavor. When you add it, the mixture may bubble up, then settle down as it neutralizes the acidity. However, if you prefer that ‘tinny’ flavor that comes from canned tomatoes, then leave out the baking soda or perhaps use a tiny pinch.
- Veggies: You can easily make this dish more substantial by serving with steamed veggies.
- Chickpea Substitutions: Feel free to add your favorite white bean or substitute with your veggie of choice.
Leftovers and Freezing:
Leftovers will generally keep 7 days in the refrigerator. Store in a covered container.
This dish freezes well.
- Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients.
- Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
- Large skillet
This one pot Easy Mediterranean Chickpeas with Rice dish is budget-friendly, delicious, and oh-so-satisfying!
- 1 cup yellow onions, fine dice
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth *
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda *
- 1 – [ 15.5 oz. can ] chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onions
- ¼ teaspoon dried ground fennel (+/-)
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- ¾ teaspoon regular chili powder *
- Pinch dried ginger (+/-)
- Pinch dried coriander (+/-)
- ¼ to ¾ teaspoon sea salt (+/- to taste) *
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- Steamed rice
- Chopped parsley (or cilantro)
- Dollop hummus
- Place the Spice/Herb Ingredients into a small bowl, whisk to incorporate, set aside.
- In a large skillet, add the diced onions, sauté over medium-high heat for 7 to 9 minutes to soften, then lower the heat to medium, add the minced garlic and tomato paste sauté, stir constantly for one minute.
- Add all the remaining Base Ingredients (except the chickpeas and baking soda) and the Spice/Herb Mix, stir to incorporate, and thicken the sauce, bring the mixture to a boil, then immediately lower to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes to allow the flavor to develop.
- Next, stir in the baking soda and chickpeas, stir well. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the stove and allow to sit for 3 minutes to allow the flavors to marry, serve over steamed rice with some chopped parsley (or cilantro) and if you wish to make it more indulgent, add a dollop of hummus.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.