Easy Italian Hummus Pasta! Busy week night dinners just got a whole lot easier with this fast and filling pasta recipe.
Brimming with fresh, vibrant flavors this Easy Italian Hummus Pasta is ultra comforting and comes together in 20 minutes or less. Tender pasta is coated in a deliciously creamy hummus-based sauce that features zesty lemon, bright basil, earthy spinach, and sweet tomatoes.
Whole Food Plant Based, Vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients
Hi there, Ameera here!
My Dad went crazy over this dish. He said “Remember this dish for my year-end Top 10 dishes of 2023, because it is so delicious!” Well, YAYYYY!!! We totally agree, this dish is so fast and easy, you won’t believe how yummy it is.
You gotta give this one a try!
Tips for Success:
- Flavor Profile: This easy and fast pasta dish has a hummus flavored sauce accented with lemon and basil. The tomatoes and spinach add deliciously fresh elements. It’s so simple, yet completely delicious.
- Amount of Pasta: While it is always tempting to use more pasta than the amount indicated in the recipe; however, resist the temptation as the amount of pasta indicated is the perfection sauce to 16 oz. of pasta ratio.
- Hot Pasta Water: The hot pasta water is the water that the pasta cooks in. We used 1 cup of hot pasta water. We recommend pulling 2 cups simply because this allows you some extra pasta water should you want to thin out the sauce more. The starchy hot pasta water helps bind and emulsify the sauce into creamy deliciousness.
- Hummus: We used our The Best Hummus for this recipe. Feel free to use your favorite hummus, either homemade or store bought.
- Fresh Basil versus Dried Basil: You can use either chopped fresh basil or dried basil in this dish. We kitchen tested both. We preferred fresh basil.
- Fresh Grape Tomatoes: The grape tomatoes are not cooked. They are only warmed up by the hot pasta. The tomatoes add a deliciously fresh element to this dish. We used a combination of fresh red grape and orange cherry tomatoes in this dish.
- Fresh Baby Spinach: The baby spinach is optional, but we highly recommend it. You can use as little or as much as you wish. We recommend using fresh baby spinach simply because it works best in this dish. We do not recommend using frozen spinach.
Leftovers and Freezing:
Leftovers will generally keep for 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator. Store in a covered container.
These dish can be frozen; however, pasta does tend to get a little weepy when frozen.
- Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
- Stockpot to cook the pasta
Brimming with fresh, vibrant flavors this Easy Italian Hummus Pasta is ultra comforting and comes together in 20 minutes or less.
- 16 oz. pasta (of choice)
- 1 cup hot pasta water (reserved) *
- 1 cup hummus *
- 3 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 30 fresh grape tomatoes, halved (or cherry tomatoes) *
- 2 cups chopped fresh baby spinach (optional) *
- Pinch to ½ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- Pinch black pepper (+/-)
- 3 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil (or 1 ½ teaspoons dried basil) *
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Right before the pasta is done, remove 1 to 2 cups of hot pasta water, set aside. Once the pasta is done, drain well, then return the cooked pasta to the empty pot.
- To the pot with the cooked pasta, add the hummus, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, halved grape tomatoes, chopped fresh baby spinach, and 1 cup of hot pasta water. Stir to combine.
- Check the consistency of the sauce, if needed, add a little more of the reserved pasta water to reach the desired consistency.
- Then add the sea salt, black pepper, and chopped fresh basil (or dried basil).
- Serve topped with a sprinkle Vegan Parmesan Cheese (optional).
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.