Baked Cinnamon Chips! There’s a new “chip” in town with a crisp, sweet goodness you can’t beat!
Simple, easy, and completely addictive, these oil free Baked Cinnamon Chips are a healthy alternative for all your dip-able dessert or sweet snaking needs. Perfectly crunchy, lightly sweetened with maple syrup and cinnamon, these baked sweet “chips” are the perfect accompaniment for your dessert dips, fruit salsas, or nice creams.
Whole Food Plant Based, Vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
Hi there, Ameera here!
Oh boy, we can’t get enough of these delicious sweet “chips. They are perfect as a stand alone dessert snack or used as a simple vehicle for dessert dips, fruit salsas, vegan ice cream, and more.
If you’ve been following us for a while, you know that our favorite tortilla for desserts is Siete Almond Flour Tortillas. They create almost a pastry-like texture and flavor when baked, which is perfect for this sweet “chip.”
They are just so gosh-darned delicious! We’ve got so many delicious dessert dips and fruit salsa in the works to accompany them. One dessert salsa you won’t want to miss is our new Berry Fruit Salsa that pairs perfectly with these chips.
You gotta give this one a try!
Tips for Success:
- Flavor: These Baked Cinnamon Chips are completely addictive. They are lightly sweetened with maple syrup and cinnamon. They are like a crazy delicious sweet “potato” chip. Our family devoured them.
- Almond Flour Tortillas: We used Siete Almond Flour Tortillas as they have an almost pastry like quality. They are oil-free and Whole Food Plant Based compliant. You can typically find them in most health food stores and large grocery stores. Additionally, Siete has a ‘store finder’ on their website. Make sure you use the ‘Filter by Product’ along the left-hand side of the page > Tortillas > Almond Flour Tortillas. You can find them in either the refrigerator or frozen foods section. Feel free to use your favorite 6-inch tortillas with the understanding that the texture and flavor will be influenced accordingly.
- Siete Almond Flour Tortillas: When working with almond flour tortillas, we found that they work best when they are very cold, not frozen, but very cold.
- Baking the Tortilla Chips – Do Not Overlap: When preparing the tortilla chips, make sure they do not overlap the tortilla chips on the baking sheet, or they will stick together because of the maple syrup glaze. We used two 14×20 baking sheets.
- Baking Time of the Tortilla Chips: Every tortilla brand is different. Watch the tortillas closely while baking to avoid burning. The timing that we used is specifically for the Siete Almond Flour Tortillas, adjust accordingly.
- No Need to Flip the Tortillas: There is no need to flip/turnover the tortillas on the baking sheets. You only need to switch the oven racks (top to bottom, bottom to top), not flipping over the tortillas.
- Cinnamon: Not all cinnamon is created equal. Some brands of cinnamon are light and passively flavored while others are strong and sharp. Use judgement on how much to sprinkle on the baked tortilla chips at the end.
- Maple Syrup/Cinnamon Mixture: When adding the cinnamon to the maple syrup/water mixture, the cinnamon will want to float on top. Use a small whisk or fork to really get it mixed into the maple syrup. It takes a minute as it will fight you before finally mixing in.
- Sprinkling of Cinnamon after Baking: We loved sprinkling some extra cinnamon after the chips come out of the oven. We used a small fine-mesh tea strainer worked perfectly to get that beautiful light dusting of cinnamon.
- Serving Ideas: We love it with a dessert dip like fruit salsa; try our Berry Fruit Salsa. It would be great with vegan ice cream too. There are many delicious options for this crispy sweet chip.
Leftovers and Freezing:
Leftovers will generally keep for 3 to 4 days at room temperature. Store in a covered container.
These chips cannot be frozen.
- Tortillas: We used Siete Almond Flour Tortillas. Feel free to use your favorite tortillas.
- Large baking sheets (2) 14×20
- Parchment paper
Simple, easy, and completely addictive, these oil free Baked Cinnamon Chips are a healthy alternative for all your dip-able dessert or sweet snaking needs.
- 8 – [ 6-inch ] tortillas *
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon cinnamon (plus more for sprinkling) *
- 1 teaspoon warm tap water
- With fruit salsa (Berry Fruit Salsa)
- With dessert-style dips
- With vegan ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- Place ¼ cup of maple syrup, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of warm tap water into a small bowl, whisk well, set aside.
- Place a tortilla onto a cutting board, brush both sides thoroughly and generously with the maple syrup & cinnamon mixture, then cut it into 6 pie shaped wedges, then place the cut pie-wedge tortilla chips onto the parchment-lined baking sheet, do not overlap. Continue until all the tortillas have been brushed with the maple syrup mixture, cut, and placed onto the baking sheets.
- Place the baking sheets into a preheated 375 F oven, bake for 5 minutes, then switch the baking sheets around (top baking sheet goes to bottom rack – bottom baking sheet goes to top rack) and return to the oven to continue to bake for another 5 minutes (see notes on baking time*). Watch them very closely to avoid burning. Switch the baking sheets one last time top to bottom, bottom to top and bake for another 3 to 4 minutes (see notes on baking time*). Again, watch them very closely to avoid burning.
- When the tortilla chips are lightly golden and crisp, remove from the oven and sprinkle with additional cinnamon. Cool and enjoy!
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Servings: 6 to 8
*Nutritional Information: Fat content will change drastically depending on which tortillas you choose to use. We used Siete Almond Flour Tortillas.
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.