Vegan Parmesan Asparagus Pasta! Creamy, comforting pasta and tender-crisp asparagus are what spring dreams are made of.
Cream-sauce, tender pasta, and refreshing-light flavors makes for a tantalizing combination that works wonders with earthy Asparagus in this Vegan Parmesan Asparagus Pasta recipe. This simple, easy-to-make dish has an elegant feel to it and is perfect for everyday dinners and guests alike. You won’t believe how tasty it is.
Whole Food Plant Based, Vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients.
Hi there, Ameera here!
This pasta is the bomb-diggity! It’s so tasty. It feels light, and the flavors are perfectly balanced with earthy, cheesy, lemony goodness. Feel free to add more spices if you wish. We loved the light feeling to it.
You gotta give this one a try!
Tips for Success:
- Flavor Profile: This pasta dish is flavored with Parmesan Cheese (Vegan). It is lightly creamy and delicious. The flavor is light, yet still has great flavor. A generous sprinkle of Vegan Parmesan Cheese completes the dish.
- Sauciness: After the dish has finished cooking on the stove, the sauce will appear thin. It thickens as the pasta soaks in some of the sauce and the sauce starts to cool. Cashew based sauces tend to thicken as they cool. Keep this in mind if you plan to substitute the cashew butter or are using a Vegan Parmesan Cheese that is not cashew based like ours. Additionally, you can control the sauce to pasta ratio by simply using less pasta if you want a little more sauciness.
- Pasta of choice: We suggest using a small cut pasta. We used Campanelle pasta simply because Yasmeen picked it out at the grocery store and insisted that we make it. Who can argue when a 2-year old wants to eat asparagus! Feel free to use your favorite gluten-free pasta or whole food plant based pasta.
- Amount of Pasta: While it is always tempting to use more pasta than the amount indicated in the recipe; however, resist the temptation as the amount of pasta indicated is the perfection sauce to pasta ratio.
- Cooked Pasta: Shake off any excess water and allow to drain for a few minutes, then shake the pasta again before adding to the bowl. Any lingering water that hangs onto the pasta will water down your sauce.
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese: We used our Vegan Parmesan Cheese. It is delicious and flavorful. Feel free to use your favorite Vegan Parmesan Cheese.
- Cashew Substitutes: You can try the typical cashew substitutes: silken tofu, white beans, other nuts or seeds with the understanding that the flavor and texture will change accordingly. You may need to adjust/add or subtract ingredients to compensate. We have not tested any substitutions.
Leftovers and Freezing:
Leftovers will generally keep for 4-5 days in the refrigerator. Store in a covered container.
This dish can be frozen.
Pantry Products Used:
- Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients. Feel free to use your favorite vegetable broth.
- Cashew Butter: We used Artisana Organic Raw Vegan Cashew Butter. Feel free to use your favorite raw cashew butter in this recipe. Read the label, make sure the only ingredient is raw cashews. Do not use a salted or sweetened cashew butter.
- Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
Kitchen Products Used:
- Stock pot to cook the pasta
- Large skillet
Cream-sauce, tender pasta, and refreshing-light flavors makes for a tantalizing combination that works wonders with earthy Asparagus in this Vegan Parmesan Asparagus Pasta recipe.
- 1 cup yellow onions, fine dice
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice (+/-)
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth *
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Tablespoon cashew butter *
- 3 Tablespoons Vegan Parmesan Cheese, (divided) *
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ to 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- Pinch to ¼ teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- Pinch to 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (+/-)
- 8 to 12 oz. pasta (short-cut pasta of choice) *
- 1 lb. asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1 ½ to 2-inch pieces
- Place the Spice/Herb Ingredients (except the red pepper flakes) into a small bowl, whisk to mix, set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, rinse well, set aside.
- In a large skillet, add the diced onions, sauté over medium-high heat for 7 to 9 minutes to soften, then lower the heat to medium, add the minced garlic, sauté for 30 seconds, then all the remaining Base Ingredients (except for the nutritional yeast, cashew butter and Vegan Parmesan Cheese) and the Spice/Herb Mix, stir to incorporate, bring the mixture to a boil, then immediately lower to a simmer.
- Add the trimmed and cut asparagus, simmer for 5 minutes (or until the asparagus has almost reached the desired tenderness).
- Stir in the nutritional yeast, cashew butter, and 2 Tablespoons of Vegan Parmesan Cheese. Simmer for several minutes.
- Next, add in the cooked pasta and red pepper flake, stir to coat. Simmer for several minutes.
- Remove from the stove, sprinkle the top with the remaining tablespoon of Vegan Parmesan Cheese, and allow to sit for 7 minutes untouched to allow the flavors to infuse in the pasta. After 7 minutes, stir well. Top individual servings with a generous sprinkle of Vegan Parmesan Cheese.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.