We are always looking for ways to spicy up your life and what better way than putting a vegan spin on a beloved drive-thru spicy chicken sandwich! This beauty is guaranteed to knock your socks off and then some with its authentic, come to mama deliciousness. This healthy sandwich features a flavor-packed chickpea patty, coated in a spicy crumb coating that is packed with tastiness, then baked in the oven to perfection. The whole family will thank you!
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, and no highly processed ingredients.
Hi there, Ameera here!
OooOooOO Doggies!!!! This Spicy “Chicken” Patty is out of this world delicious!!! We started this puppy at the beginning of January, then put it aside for a few tweaks, then got the recipe down in March. We stopped shooting in early March as we had a ton of recipes including recipes already shot in the hopper. We wanted to get ahead so I could have a maternity leave.
I really didn’t have a ton of pregnancy cravings other than this sandwich. We made it over and over, and over again. I simply couldn’t get enough of it. Yes!!! It is that good in my humble opinion.
Post Pregnancy Cravings
After I had Yasmeen, I still wanted these incredible sandwiches. Mom was making and freezing them by the dozens, because I loved them so much. I was eating about one a day for the first two weeks after Yasmeen was born.
They will definitely be in the Top 10 of our Best 2020 Recipes for sure!
I’ll let Mom tell you more!
Hi! Robin here.
Oh my my my!!! These Vegan Spicy “Chicken” Patties are so freaking delicious! We were making and eating them like they were going out style. Monkey was craving them like nobody’s business. I was constantly making them and freezing them so she could just heat one up for a quick and filling meal on the go.
To freeze them, simply bake them, cool completely to room temperature, then wrap them individually in plastic wrap, then place the individually wrapped patties into a freezer bag. You can pull one out at a time, microwave, and devour! They taste as good as the day you made them!
We hope you give this deliciousness a try! We just know you are going to love it!
- Food processor
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment paper
This healthy Vegan Spicy “Chicken” Patty sandwich features a flavorful chickpea patty, coated in a spicy crumb coating and baked in the oven to perfection.
- ½ cup cooked and refrigerated brown rice *
- ½ cup rolled oats *
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] chickpeas, drained and rinsed *
- 2 Tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1 Tablespoon reduced sodium tamari *
- 1 Tablespoon tahini *
- 1 Tablespoon low sodium vegetable broth *
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onion flakes
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper *
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Crumb Topping Ingredients:
- 2 Tablespoons Panko crumbs (or bread crumbs)
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- Large pinch smoked paprika
- Large pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Place all the Spice/Herb Ingredients into a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- Place the Crumb Topping Ingredients into a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Place the cooked and refrigerated brown rice and oats into a food processor and process just until slightly broken up, about 10 seconds, do not pulverized them.
- Then add all the remaining Base Ingredients and pulse off and on until the all the ingredients are mixed well. Then place the mixture into a large bowl.
- Sprinkle the Spice/Herb Mix over top of the patty mixture, and mix well by using your hands until everything is well combined and the spices/herbs are evenly distributed and sticks together.
- Form a large ball, then divide into 4 patties. Pick up each ball with slightly dampened hands and form a smooth ball, then flatten into about a ¾ inch thick patty and place on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Continue until all the patties are made. (See notes on burger formation)
- Then take each patty and coat it on all sides with the Crumb Topping Mixture by pressing the crumb mixture slightly onto the patties.
- Place in a preheated 375 F oven (center rack) and bake for 20 minutes, then flip, and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 2 minutes to set up before serving on your favorite burger bun (lettuce cup or tortilla) with some shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes, pickles, and your favorite Vegan Mayonnaise.
*Tips for Success:
- Refrigerated Rice: It is important to use rice that has been cooked and cooled in the refrigerator. Using freshly made rice will result in a gummy burger.
- Canned versus Cooked Chickpeas: We highly recommend using canned chickpeas because of their solid texture. If you do use cooked chickpeas (example Instant Pot), you want the chickpeas cooked, but with a firm texture that you can typically find from canned chickpeas. Using cooked chickpeas that are too mushy could result in a much softer texture patty.
- Spice Distribution: Really get your hands into the mixture to ensure the spices are evenly distributed.
- Patty Formation: With slightly dampened hands really pack the patties tightly in your hand to form a firm, smooth cohesive ball, then press down while it is still in your hands and form a flattened disk. Take the time to really smooth out the sides. This helps prevent the disk from cracking while it is baking. They may crack a tiny bit, but you want to make sure you want to shore up the edges before it goes in the oven.
- Tahini: Use room temperature tahini. If you refrigerate your tahini, either remove the recipe amount and allow to come to room temperature or microwave it just until it is no longer cold. Do not melt the tahini.
- Thickness of the patty: The thickness of this burger is another area within your control. We made multiple kitchen tests and preferred a ¾ inch thick patty.
- Crumb Coating: Simply place the crumb coating on a flat plate. Then take each patty and place it on the crumb coating, slightly press, flip over, then repeat. Take each patty and push it onto the edges of the patty so that the patty is completely coated with the crumb coating. Repeat with all the other patties. You may or may not have crumb coating left over. Save for later use if you wish.
- Cayenne Pepper – Spiciness: Our goal was to replicate Wendy’s Spicy Chicken Sandwich in WFPB form. It tastes amazingly similar. If you wish to tone down the spiciness, simply cut back on the cayenne pepper, but don’t eliminate it completely. It really adds dimension to the patty.
- Freezer Friendly: To freeze them, simply make them, cool completely to room temperature, then wrap them individually in plastic wrap, then place the individually wrapped patties into a freezer bag. You can pull one out at a time, microwave, and devour! They taste as good as the day you made them.
*Tamari: We used San J Tamari Soy Sauce, Gluten Free, Reduced Sodium. You can substitute the tamari with reduced sodium soy sauce, Braggs Liquid Aminos, or Braggs Coconut Liquid Aminos.
*Rolled Oats: Use whole grain rolled oats, not instant oats. We used Bob’s Red Mill Rolled Oats (Whole Grain).
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: Makes 4 patties
*Storage: Refrigerate and use within 7 days. Freezes well.
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.