Have you ever had a burger so full of flavor and so incredibly delicious that you wondered where it has been all your life? Well, we have just the burger for you. If you love curry, then this Vegan Curry Burger is going to be right up your alley. Our curry burger is brimming with earthy and savory spices and coupled with a sweet and tangy Easy Pineapple Jalapeno Chutney that makes for an incredible flavor combination that will make you want to make it over and over again.
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free and no highly processed ingredients.
Hi there, Ameera here!
Can I just say “WOW?” Yes… then let me say it again “WOW!” This Vegan Curry Burger is full of complex flavors, yet so simple and easy to make. We fell in love with the first bite. The Easy Pineapple Jalapeno Chutney is a must have flavor combination. You simply need it as it perfectly complements this burger.
Whatever you do, don’t make the burger without the chutney; trust me, you won’t be sorry. You’ll thank me later. Hee Hee
I’ll let Mom tell you more!
Hi! Robin here.
After the first of the year, Monkey and I were trying to develop recipes that were freezer friendly and easy to pull out of the freezer, thaw or nuke in the microwave and devour. We made a series of burgers, because let’s face it, burgers are delicious! And when something can be made ahead and freezes well, you have a winning combination. We did not freeze the chutney, but we did make a big batch of it to pile on these lovelies.
To freeze them, simply make them, cool completely to room temperature, then wrap them individually in plastic wrap, then place the individually wrapped patties into a freezer bag. You can pull one out at a time, microwave, and devour! They taste as good as the day you made them!
We love, love, love Penzeys Sweet Curry! It has amazing flavor and works so well with this burger recipe. You can certainly use your favorite curry powder in this burger, but we recommend Penzey’s just because it is AMAZING!
We hope you give this deliciousness a try! We just know you are going to love it!
- Food processor
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment paper
This healthy Vegan Curry Burger is brimming with earthy spices and topped with a sweet and tangy Pineapple Chutney that makes for an incredible combination!
- ½ cup cooked and refrigerated brown rice *
- ½ cup rolled oats *
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons flax meal
- 1 Tablespoon tahini
- 1 Tablespoon reduced sodium tamari *
- 1 Tablespoon low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onion flakes
- 1 ¼ teaspoons curry powder *
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
Other Optional Ingredients:
- ½ cup frozen baby sweet peas, thawed (optional) *
Easy Pineapple Jalapeno Chutney Ingredients:
- 1 cup pineapple, small dice
- 1 Tablespoon jalapeno, fine dice
- 1 Tablespoon red onion, fine dice
- 2 Tablespoons organic maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon molasses
- ½ teaspoon minced ginger
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Pinch sea salt (+/-) *
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
- 1 Tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Make the Easy Pineapple Jalapeno Chutney (or make while the burgers are in the oven) – See recipes notes, set aside.
- Place all the Spice/Herb Ingredients into a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Place the cooked and refrigerated brown rice and oats into a food processor and process just until slightly broken up, about 10 seconds, do not pulverized them.
- Then add all the remaining Base Ingredients and pulse off and on until the all the ingredients are mixed well. Then place the mixture into a large bowl.
- Sprinkle the Spice/Herb Mix over top of the patty mixture and mix well by using your hands until everything is well combined; and the spices/herbs are evenly distributed, and the mixture sticks together. Then add in the baby peas and mix well to distribute.
- Form a large ball, then divide into 4 patties. Pick up each ball with slightly dampened hands and form a smooth ball, then flatten into about a ¾ inch thick patty and place on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Continue until all the patties are made. (See notes on burger formation)
- Place in a preheated 375 F oven (center rack) and bake for 20 minutes, then flip, and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 2 minutes to set up before serving on your favorite burger bun (lettuce cup or tortilla) loaded with the Easy Pineapple Jalapeno Chutney.
*Tips for Success:
- Refrigerated Rice: It is important to use rice that has been cooked and cooled in the refrigerator. Using freshly made rice will result in a gummy burger.
- Canned versus Cooked Chickpeas: We highly recommend using canned chickpeas because of their solid texture. If you do use cooked chickpeas (example Instant Pot), you want the chickpeas cooked, but with a firm texture that you can typically find from canned chickpeas. Using cooked chickpeas that are too mushy could result in a much softer texture patty.
- Spice Distribution: Really get your hands into the mixture to ensure the spices are evenly distributed.
- Patty Formation: With slightly dampened hands really pack the patties tightly in your hand to form a firm, smooth cohesive ball, then press down while it is still in your hands and form a flattened disk. Take the time to really smooth out the sides. This helps prevent the disk from cracking while it is baking. They may crack a tiny bit, but you want to make sure you want to shore up the edges before it goes in the oven.
- Thickness of the patty: The thickness of this burger is another area within your control. We made multiple kitchen tests and preferred a ¾ inch thick patty.
- Tahini: Use room temperature tahini. If you refrigerate your tahini, either remove the recipe amount and allow to come to room temperature or microwave it just until it is no longer cold. Do not melt the tahini.
- Sweet Baby Peas: The baby sweet peas are optional, but if you do use them in this burger, then use frozen small sweet baby peas. Frozen sweet baby peas are more firm and tiny, they work perfectly in this burger. Canned sweet peas are too soft and will turn the burger to mush. Larger sweet peas will cause the burger to not stick together. If you have frozen sweet baby peas on hand, use them, otherwise, leave them out.
*Easy Pineapple Jalapeno Chutney Instructions: Place all the ingredients (except the cornstarch and water) into a small sauce pan and cook over medium-high heat for 10 minutes. Place the cornstarch and water into a small bowl, whisk until all lumps are removed, then add to the chutney, heat until thick, cook for several minutes, then remove from the stove to cool. Serve on top of the curry burger either warm or cold.
*Tamari: We used San J Tamari Soy Sauce, Gluten Free, Reduced Sodium. You can substitute the tamari with reduced sodium soy sauce, Braggs Liquid Aminos, or Braggs Coconut Liquid Aminos.
*Rolled Oats: Use whole grain rolled oats, not instant oats. We used Bob’s Red Mill Rolled Oats (Whole Grain).
*Curry Powder: We really enjoy Penzeys Sweet Curry Powder, please feel free to use your favorite curry powder.
*Frozen Sweet Baby Peas: We used Birds Eyes Frozen Sweet Baby Peas. They are tiny and work perfectly with this recipe because they are small. Make sure you thaw them out and put them on a paper towel to remove any excess liquid that may accumulate during the thawing process. You can microwave them quick as well.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Freezer Friendly: To freeze them, simply make them, cool completely to room temperature, then wrap them individually in plastic wrap, then place the individually wrapped patties into a freezer bag. You can pull one out at a time, microwave, and devour! They taste as good as the day you made them.
*Serving: Makes 4 burgers
*Storage: Refrigerate and use within 7 days. Freezes well.
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.