Vegan Almond Apple Slaw! The combination of textures and flavors makes this refreshing slaw an absolutely family favorite.
Lightly tangy, sweet, and crunchy, this Vegan Almond Apple Slaw is a delicious addition to your next BBQ, pot luck, or holiday table. Toasty almonds combined with sweet apples and cabbage in a lightly creamy cashew cream-base sauce makes for the perfect slaw to be enjoyed year-round.
Whole Food Plant Based, Vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
Hi there, Ameera here!
By now, you all know we love a great slaw! This one is so tasty! Lightly tangy and sweet, it’s so yummy!
You gotta give this one a try!
Tips for Success:
- Flavor Profile: This is a lightly tangy coleslaw that has a creamy cashew cream base sauce, sweetened by apples along with toasted almond slices for a nice crunchy bite.
- Cabbage: We used the thin slicer blade on our food processor to shred the cabbage. You can also use a green cabbage slaw mix if you wish. Or you can also use the grater attachment for the cabbage.
- Grated Carrots: We used matchstick carrots. We also used the grater blade on our food processor to test grated carrots in kitchen tests, both types of carrots work well. If using matchstick carrots, you may need to give them a chop to get them into smaller pieces.
- Diced Apples: You may wish to place a couple tablespoons of lemon juice in a bowl and as you diced the apples, please the diced apples in the bowl and sprinkle the lemon juice on them to prevent them from browning.
- Vinegar: This slaw is lightly tangy. You can increase the tanginess by adding a little more vinegar or adding a flavored mustard like Dijon.
- Sweetness: This slaw is very lightly sweet. The sweetness comes from the diced apples.
- Apples: We used crispy sweet apples like Gala, Honeycrisp apple, etc.
- Hot Sauce: The hot sauce is not an essential ingredient, but it does add some dimension to the slaw dressing without adding heat.
- Toasted Almond Slices: Toasting the almond slices really bring out the toasty nutty flavor. To toast the almond slices, simply place the almond slices into a skillet and heat on medium heat until lightly golden and fragrant. Watch them carefully to ensure that they don’t burn.
- Cashew Substitutes: You can try the typical cashew substitutes: silken tofu, white beans, other nuts or seeds with the understanding that the flavor and texture will change accordingly. You may need to adjust/add ingredients to compensate. We have not tested any substitutions.
Leftovers and Freezing:
Leftovers will generally keep 5 days in the refrigerator. Store in a covered container.
This slaw cannot be frozen.
- Hot Sauce: We used Frank’s RedHot Original Hot Sauce.
- High-speed blender
- Food processor
Lightly tangy, sweet, and crunchy, this Vegan Almond Apple Slaw is a delicious addition to your next bbq, pot luck, or holiday table.
- 5 cups shredded green cabbage *
- 1 cup grated carrots *
- 2 apples, unpeeled, small dice *
- 6 to 8 green onions, thinly sliced (+/-)
- ½ to ¾ cup toasted almond slices *
- ½ cup dried cranberries (optional)
Slaw Dressing Ingredients:
- ¾ cup [raw] cashews *
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar (+/-) *
- ¼ cup distilled white vinegar (+/-) *
- ½ cup unsweetened plain plant milk
- ½ teaspoon dried ground mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon hot sauce *
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup (+/-)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ to 1 ¼ teaspoons sea salt (+/-) *
- Place the cashews into a small bowl, cover with boiling water, allow to soak for 15 minutes, then drain, discard the water, and place the cashews into a high-speed blender, set aside.
- In the meantime, place all the Base Ingredients into a large bowl, mix to evenly distribute the ingredients. Set aside until ready to dress.
- Place all the Dressing Ingredients into the high-speed blender (along with the soaked and drained cashews). Blend on high until smooth and emulsified.
- Add the dressing to the slaw mix and toss until everything is evenly coated.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.