Instant Pot Brown Rice Pudding! We are all for this comforting and old fashion dish with a wholesome spin.
This easy Instant Pot Brown Rice Pudding is an old-fashioned, creamy pudding made with hearty brown rice, sweet raisins, and aromatic spices. A simple, healthy vegan nod to a classic rice pudding recipe makes for a luxurious comforting dessert that the whole family will love.
Whole Food Plant Based, Vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
Hi there, Ameera here!
Believe it or not, I had never had traditional rice pudding in my prior life. Mom loves rice pudding, but rarely made it. This healthier version has a nuttier flavor due to the brown rice. She said it was also hard to get used to the color (light brown) since rice pudding is generally white from using white rice.
While some family members really enjoyed it, we had other family members who thought it was OK.
If you’re a rice pudding fan, you gotta give this healthy one a try!
Tips for Success:
- Flavor Profile: This is a vegan version of an old-fashioned rice pudding. Rice pudding is typically made with white rice and whole milk or cream. This healthier version uses brown rice and cashew cream. The brown rice gives the pudding a nuttier, more earthy flavor. We had family members who loved it while we also had family members who weren’t fans. We want our readers to know that this healthier brown rice version is a nod to the non-vegan white rice version. It is delicious for what it is and that is a healthy vegan brown rice pudding.
- Rinsing the Brown Rice: It is really important to rinse the brown rice really well with cold water.
- Whisking the Instant Pot Ingredients before setting the Instant Pot to Pressure: Really whisk the ingredients well while in the Instant Pot (before cooking) as the cinnamon wants to float on top of the liquids. Whisking helps incorporate the cinnamon into the liquid so it infuses into the rice.
- Thickness of the Pudding: The thickness of the pudding is relative. You can always add more plant milk if the rice becomes too thick.
- Hot or Cold: This rice is delicious served both hot or cold.
- Nut Free Version: If you wish to skip making a cashew cream, then substitute with ½ cup of light coconut milk (can).
- Sauté Feature: After the cashew cream and raisins have been added at the end, if the rice pudding is still too thin, then use the sauté feature for several minutes. It is important to constantly stir to avoid scorching the pudding.
Leftovers and Freezing:
Leftovers will generally keep for 4-5 days in the refrigerator. Store in a covered container. Reheating can be done in the microwave (if you like it warm) or on the stove top. You may need to add some water to thin it out.
This dish can be frozen but tends to get slightly watery. The water can be stirred back down into the pudding.
Pantry Products Used:
- Brown Rice: We used Carolina Brown Rice. Feel free to use your favorite brown rice. Avoid brown rice brands that take overly long to become tender.
Kitchen Products Used:
- Instant Pot
- High-Speed Blender
We certainly hope you give this deliciousness a try.
If you try this comforting dessert, we would love to know if you enjoy it as much as we do! Please leave us a review! Post a picture on Facebook or Instagram and tag us! We would love to hear from you.Print
This easy Instant Pot Brown Rice Pudding is an old-fashioned, creamy pudding made with hearty brown rice, sweet raisins, and aromatic spices.
- ¾ cup brown rice *
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons unsweetened plain plant milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 Tablespoon pure maple syrup (+/-)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (+/-)
- Pinch nutmeg (optional)
- 1/8 to ½ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
Cashew Cream Ingredients:
- ¼ cup [raw] cashews
- 1/3 cup unsweetened plain plant milk
- ½ to 2/3 cup raisins (+/-)
- Sprinkle cinnamon
- Chopped walnuts
- Rinse the rice really well, then place into the Instant Pot.
- Add all the remaining Base Ingredients into the Instant Pot. Whisk and stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Set the Instant Pot to Manual Pressure High for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, place the cashews into a small bowl, cover with boiling water, set aside for 30 minutes, then drain off the water (discard the water), then place the soaked cashews into a high-speed blender with 1/3 cup plant milk. Blend on high until smooth and emulsified, scraping down the blender sides halfway. Set aside until ready to use in Step 6.
- After the Instant Pot has finished (30 minutes), then press Cancel and allow to sit for 15 minutes, then do a Quick Release.
- Once all the pressure is released, carefully remove the lid. Turn on the Sauté function on the Instant Pot and stir in the cashew cream and raisins. Stir constantly for several minutes to allow the pudding to thicken, then press Cancel. The pudding will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Serve warm or cold with an extra sprinkle of cinnamon, raisins, and/or chopped walnuts.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: Makes 3 cups
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.