Vegan Irish Colcannon! Mashed potatoes and tender, skillet-cooked cabbage unite in this healthy, vegan twist.
This budget-friendly Vegan Irish Colcannon is a tasty combination of lightly seasoned skillet cabbage mixed with creamy mashed potatoes. A perfect Irish dish for St Patrick’s Day or any day of the week. It’s easy to make, nourishing, and completely addictive.
Whole Food Plant Based, Vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
Hi there, Ameera here!
I totally fell in love with this Whole Food Plant Based nod to Irish Colcannon. Of course, the traditional Irish Colcannon is filled with cream and butter, but our WFPB version is just as delicious and full of yummy flavors.
We mixed it with our Simple Mashed Potatoes recipe and it becomes a fantastic meal. You gotta give this one a try!
Tips for Success:
- Flavor Profile: This is a Whole Food Plant Based budget-friendly nod to the Irish dish Colcannon, which is simply cabbage and mashed potatoes. It is often served as the main course but can be served as a side dish.
- Green Cabbage: We used approximately ¼ of a medium-sized green cabbage. We do not recommend using red (purple) cabbage.
- Green Onions: A lot of colcannon recipes use sliced green onions; we used a large yellow onion. Feel free to use green onions.
- Mashed Potatoes: We used our Simple Mashed Potatoes recipe; however, feel free to use your favorite mashed potato recipe.
Leftovers and Freezing:
Leftovers will generally keep in the fridge for 4 to 5 days. Store in a covered container.
This dish can be frozen.
- Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients. Feel free to use your favorite vegetable broth.
- Large skillet
- Large stock pot (to boil potatoes for Simple Mashed Potatoes)
If you try these comforting potatoes, we would love to know if you enjoy it as much as we do! Please leave us a review! Post a picture on Facebook or Instagram and tag us! We would love to hear from you.Print
This budget-friendly Vegan Irish Colcannon is a tasty combination of lightly seasoned skillet cabbage mixed with creamy mashed potatoes.
Cabbage Skillet Base Ingredients:
- 1 large yellow onion, fine dice
- 2 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups roughly chopped green cabbage *
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth *
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ to 1 teaspoons sea salt (+/-) *
- 1/8 to ¼ teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- 1 recipe Simple Mashed Potatoes
- Prepare the mashed potatoes – See Simple Mashed Potatoes recipe (or use your favorite mashed potato recipes (from 5 lbs. potatoes), set side.
- Measure and place all the Spice/Herb Ingredients into a small bowl, mix well and set aside.
- In a large skillet, add the diced onions, sauté over medium heat until they begin to soften, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Add a tablespoon or so of water if they start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for one minute. Then add all the remaining Cabbage Skillet Base Ingredients and the Spice/Herb Mix; mix well. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes or longer until the cabbage reaches the desired tenderness. Once the cabbage is tender, remove from the stove. The cabbage should soak up the liquids (or nearly all of the liquids).
- Once the mashed potatoes are made, fold in the cabbage mixture. Serve and enjoy!
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: 6 to 9 (makes 9 ½ cups)
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.