Vegan Greek Mac and Cheese! Coming in hot with this decadent, ooey-gooey mac and cheese you need to try.
Rich, creamy, and delicious, this oil free Vegan Greek Mac and Cheese hits all the highlights of comforting mac and cheese with a twist. A hint of lemon and oregano transform this ultra-creamy mac and cheese into Greek inspired goodness. It’s a perfect dish for people of all ages who love a great mac and cheese!
Whole Food Plant Based, Vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
Hi there, Ameera here!
Yasmeen devoured this mac and cheese. It is uberly creamy and has a delightfully fresh flavor profile. The plant yogurt really makes it feel rich without feeling heavy.
We tested a bunch of different types of pasta with this dish. Normally we would use a rice based elbow macaroni, but she saw the cellentani (corkscrew) pasta at the store and wanted it, so we made it for her.
Dad loved it too! He said it was super creamy and very delicious! He gave it a 9.9. (He rarely gives a 10). So, we were super happy that he loved it. You gotta give this one a try!
Tips for Success:
- Flavor Profile: The flavor profile of this mac and cheese is very light tasting. It has an amazingly fresh quality to it from the lemon juice and plant yogurt. If you love lemon, then increase the lemon a little at a time. The texture is very creamy. The oregano is lightly accented, but feel free to ramp up more or simply sprinkle some dried oregano on top of individual servings.
- Nutritional Yeast: The nutritional yeast is subtle in this recipe. If you want more of a “cheesy” flavor, then feel free to ramp up on the nutritional yeast.
- Cauliflower: We used a 14.4 oz package of Birds Eye Frozen Cauliflower Florets. You can use fresh cauliflower as long as you cook it to a tender stage.
- Amount of Pasta: While it is always tempting to use more pasta than the amount indicated in the recipe; however, resist the temptation as the amount of pasta indicated is the perfection sauce to pasta ratio.
- Cooking the Pasta: Do not overcook the pasta, cook it to al dente, then drain thoroughly.
- Drain the Pasta: Make sure you take a few extra moments to thoroughly drain the pasta to avoid a watered-down sauce.
- Cellentani Pasta or Elbow Macaroni: We loved using cellentani pasta, but elbow macaroni works equally well, you can use pretty much any macaroni you wish.
- Gluten Free Macaroni/Pasta: Gluten free pasta is typically very starchy. Because of this, we suggest that you quickly rinse with cold tap water in a colander just to stop the cooking process and to get rid of excess starches, then switch to hot tap water to heat it up again. Shake off the excess water before placing in a bowl to mix with the sauce.
- Plant Yogurt Substitutions: You can substitute the plant yogurt for more cashews. You will need to adjust the liquids to compensate for the added cashews. You will also need to adjust the flavors. We have not tested any substitutions.
- Cashew Substitutions: You can try the traditional substitutions: silken tofu, white beans, other nuts or seeds with the understanding that the flavor and texture will change accordingly. You may need to add ingredients, etc. to ramp up the flavor. We have not tested any substitutions.
- Sauce: The sauce is hot (temperature as it was boiled) so it is easy to go from the blender to the cooked pasta, mix and serve.
- Dried Oregano: Feel free to ramp up the dried oregano if you wish. However, do not place it in the high-speed blender. Pulse it in at the very end to avoid bitterness. Sometimes dried herbs can become bitter if overprocessed in a high-speed blender.
- Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
Leftovers and Freezing:
Leftovers will generally keep for 4-5 days in the refrigerator. Store in a covered container. Reheating can be done on the stovetop, or in the microwave.
This dish can be frozen; however, it is best if served immediately after making or after refrigerating leftovers. Pasta does tend to get a little mushy after freezing.
Pantry Products Used:
- Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients.
Kitchen Products Used:
- Stock pot to cook the pasta
- Stock pot to boil the cashews and cauliflower
- High-Speed Blender
We certainly hope you give this deliciousness a try.Print
Rich, creamy, and delicious, this oil free Vegan Greek Mac and Cheese shines with hints of lemon and oregano goodness.
- ½ cup (raw) cashews
- 1 – [ 14.4 oz. package ] frozen cauliflower florets *
- 1/3 cup low-sodium vegetable broth *
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (+/-) *
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup unsweetened plain plant yogurt
Sauce Herb/Spice Ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onions
- ½ teaspoon dried ground mustard powder
- ½ to 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- 12 to 14 oz. elbow macaroni (or cellentani pasta) *
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano (+/-)
Optional Topping Ingredients:
- Sprinkle dried oregano
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions, drain, rinse, set aside.
- Place the cashews and cauliflower into a small stock pot, cover with water, place on the stove, bring to a boil. Simmer at a low boil for approximately 10 to 15 minutes or until the cauliflower is perfectly tender. Drain and discard the liquid, then place the cauliflower and cashews into a high-speed blender.
- Next add the Sauce Ingredients and Sauce Herb/Spice Ingredients into a high-speed blender along with the cooked cauliflower and cashews. Blend on high until the sauce is creamy, emulsified, and smooth. You may need to use the tamper tool to keep the sauce moving. Taste test for flavor, add more ingredients to reach the flavor you desire.
- Add the dried oregano and pulse a few times just to mix in. Do not blend!
- Place the cooked pasta into a large bowl, add the sauce into the bowl, mix well.
- Serve with a sprinkle of dried oregano (optional.)
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.