BBQ, need we say more? This vegan spin on a BBQ chicken sandwich is guaranteed to blow your mind. This healthy sandwich features a chickpea patty with a BBQ-spiced rub mixed inside, coated in a smoky crumb coating that is packed with tastiness, baked in the oven to perfection, and topped with our delectable Sweet and Smoky BBQ Sauce. The whole family will flip out over this dish.
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free and no highly processed ingredients.
Hi there, Ameera here!
Ohhhh my goodness, I am a BBQ fanatic! Mom and I had made several BBQ Chickpea patties in the past, but we were never quite satisfied with how they turned out. The mistake we made was trying to use BBQ sauce in the patty itself. They always turned out too soggy and for some reason the BBQ flavor never really shined like we hoped it would.
Then after we made our Spicy “Chicken” Patty, we realized perhaps we had approached it all wrong. We went in a different direction by deciding to make a BBQ rub and put it inside the burger itself and then top it with a tasty BBQ sauce just like the professionals do (with meat).
Sweet Baby Ray’s
We couldn’t just stop with a BBQ “Chicken” Patty; we knew we had to come up with an AH-MAZING indulgent Sweet and Smoky BBQ Sauce to compliment this deliciousness. In my past life (Life before becoming WFPB), I was a huge Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ fan.
That sweetness and smokiness really sings to my soul. I freaking love it. So Mom and I set out to make a WFPB copycat version WITHOUT a ketchup base. AND let me just say, ooOOooOOO doggies! While not a complete copycat, it’s pretty gosh-darned close, in my humble opinion!
I’ll let Mom tell you more!
Hi! Robin here.
Monkey is a genius! When she finally figured out the solution to making a delicious BBQ “Chicken” Sandwich with a WFPB Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce, I was in BBQ heaven. Monkey outdid herself!!!
You simple have to try this sandwich with her BBQ sauce. It is DELISH!!!
To freeze them, simply make them, cool completely to room temperature, then wrap them individually, then place the individually wrapped patties into a freezer bag. You can pull one out at a time, microwave, and devour! They taste as good as the day you made them!
We hope you give this deliciousness a try! We just know you are going to love it!
- Food processor
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment paper
This healthy Vegan BBQ “Chicken” Patty sandwich is brimming with a bold spice rub, a smoky crumb coating, and topped with our Sweet and Smoky BBQ Sauce.
- ½ cup cooked and refrigerated brown rice *
- ½ cup rolled oats *
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons flax meal
- 1 Tablespoon tamari *
- 1 Tablespoon tahini
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable broth *
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons maple sugar (or date sugar) *
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon regular chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried ground mustard powder
- Tiny pinch cayenne pepper (optional) *
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Crumb Topping Ingredients:
- 2 Tablespoons Panko crumbs (or bread crumbs)
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- Large pinch smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- Sweet and Smoky BBQ Sauce
- WFPB Buns
- Lettuce Wrap
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Place all the Spice/Herb Ingredients into a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- Place the Crumb Topping Ingredients into a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Place the cooked and refrigerated brown rice and oats into a food processor and process just until slightly broken up, about 10 seconds, do not pulverized them.
- Then add all the remaining Base Ingredients and pulse off and on until the all the ingredients are mixed well. Then place the mixture into a large bowl.
- Sprinkle the Spice/Herb Mix over top of the patty mixture and mix well by using your hands until everything is well combined, and the spices/herbs are evenly distributed and sticks together.
- Form a large ball, then divide into 4 patties. Pick up each ball with slightly dampened hands and form a smooth ball, then flatten into about a ¾ inch thick patty and place on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Continue until all the patties are made. (See notes on burger formation)
- Then take each patty and coat it on all sides with the Crumb Mixture by pressing the crumb mixture slightly onto the patties.
- Place in a preheated 375 F oven (center rack) and bake for 20 minutes, then flip, and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 2 minutes to set up before serving on your favorite burger bun (lettuce cup or tortilla) with some shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes, and our Sweet and Smokey BBQ Sauce (or your favorite BBQ sauce).
*Tips for Success:
- Refrigerated Rice: It is important to use rice that has been cooked and cooled in the refrigerator. Using freshly made rice will result in a gummy burger.
- Canned versus Cooked Chickpeas: We highly recommend using canned chickpeas because of their solid texture. If you do use cooked chickpeas (example Instant Pot), you want the chickpeas cooked, but with a firm texture that you can typically find from canned chickpeas. Using cooked chickpeas that are too mushy could result in a much softer textured patty.
- Spice Distribution: Really get your hands into the mixture to ensure the spices are evenly distributed.
- Patty Formation: With slightly dampened hands really pack the patties tightly in your hand to form a firm, smooth cohesive ball, then press down while it is still in your hands and form a flattened disk. Take the time to really smooth out the sides. This helps prevent the disk from cracking while it is baking. They may crack a tiny bit, but you want to make sure you want to shore up the edges before it goes in the oven.
- Thickness of the patty: The thickness of this burger is another area within your control. We made multiple kitchen tests and preferred a ¾ inch thick patty.
- Tahini: Use room temperature tahini. If you refrigerate your tahini, either remove the recipe amount and allow to come to room temperature or microwave it just until it is no longer cold. Do not melt the tahini.
- Crumb Coating: Simply place the crumb coating on a flat plate. Then take each patty and place it on the crumb coating, slightly press, flip over, then repeat. Take each patty and push it onto the edges of the patty so that the patty is completely coated with the crumb coating. Repeat with all the other patties. You may or may not have crumb coating left over. Save for later use if you wish.
- Freezer Friendly: To freeze them, simply make them, cool completely to room temperature, then wrap them individually in plastic wrap, then place the individually wrapped patties into a freezer bag. You can pull one out at a time, microwave, and devour! They taste as good as the day you made them.
*Tamari: We used San J Tamari Soy Sauce, Gluten Free, Reduced Sodium. You can substitute the tamari with reduced sodium soy sauce, Braggs Liquid Aminos, or Braggs Coconut Liquid Aminos.
*Rolled Oats: Use whole grain rolled oats, not instant oats. We used Bob’s Red Mill Rolled Oats (Whole Grain).
*Maple Sugar/Date Sugar: We used maple sugar because we had it on hand. You can also use date sugar. We have had readers tell us that coconut sugar works great as well if your diet allows for coconut sugar. Additionally, do not use maple syrup, it will make the burgers too soggy.
*Cayenne Pepper: Use just a tiny pinch of cayenne pepper. It tends to build on the palate. It adds wonderful flavor, but we strongly suggest a tiny pinch. If you are not a lover of spice, omit it completely.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: Makes 4 patties
*Storage: Refrigerate and use within 7 days. Freezes well.
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.