Healthy Pina Colada Popsicles! Homemade popsicles are an easy and healthy treat the whole family will enjoy!
Brimming with pineapple and coconut flavors, these Healthy Pina Colada Popsicles are a fun non-alcoholic twist on a classic tropical cocktail! Beat the heat with this tasty whole food plant based treat that you can feel good about enjoying all summer long!
Whole Food Plant Based, Vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
Hi there, Ameera here!
Mom’s favorite flavor combination is pina colada. She absolutely loves pineapple and coconut. Mom and I were all about creating delicious popsicles for summer enjoyment. This one is hard to beat, but we have a line-up of whole food plant based popsicles coming your way!
You gotta give this one a try!
Tips for Success:
- Flavor Profile: These Healthy Pina Colada Popsicles are a Whole Food Plant Based nod to the frozen Pina Colada frozen drink. Dreamy deliciousness never tasted so good with the yummy frozen treat on a hot summer day.
- Healthy Popsicle: If you are looking for popsicles that taste like a traditional popsicle then perhaps pass on this recipe. Those types of popsicles are made with high fructose corn syrup and are full of artificial flavors, fillers, and often times, dyes. These homemade popsicles are made from real fruit and use maple syrup as a sweetener.
- Sweetness: These popsicles are very lightly sweet. You can easily increase the sweetness by adding more maple syrup or use no sweetener at all as some folks enjoy nature fruit flavors without any enhancements.
- Sweeteners: We used pure maple syrup; however, you can substitute with your favorite sweetener with the understanding that the flavor and also possibly the texture may be impacted accordingly.
- Amount of Ingredients/Customizable: This recipe is super easy to customize to suit your personal preferences. You can increase the amount of fresh pineapple, canned light coconut milk, sweetness, and extracts to arrive at the perfect flavor that suits your tastes. Every aspect of this treat is within your control.
- Yasmeen’s personal favorite was to blend approx. 30 oz. of fresh pineapple with about ¾ cup of light coconut milk, ¼ cup + 1 Tablespoon of pure maple syrup, 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract and 1/8 teaspoon of rum extract. These popsicles are sweeter which kids tend to enjoy more. Yasmeen’s favorite made 10 popsicles and 1 small glass of smoothy. We absolutely loved them! We made them for family and friends and everyone loved them.
- Pineapples Chunks: We used canned pineapple chunks in 100% pineapple juice. Feel free to use fresh pineapple. We also used fresh pineapple with no added pineapple juice. We preferred the fresh pineapple; however, the pineapple needs to be ripe and sweet. We show canned pineapple in the recipe purely to obtain a consistent flavor. You can also use frozen pineapple as well.
- Canned Light Coconut Milk: We used light unsweetened coconut milk from the can. Light Unsweetened Coconut Milk is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, full fat unsweetened coconut milk is not.
- Coconut Extract: We loved adding coconut extract, it really enhanced the pina colada flavor profile.
- Rum Extract: If you are looking for a more authentic flavor, simply add a couple drops of rum extract to the mix.
- Number of Popsicles: The number of popsicles that this recipe makes is directly proportional to the size of the popsicle molds used. Popsicle molds come in all different sizes and shapes. This is our favorite popsicle mold. We also filled them to nearly the top of the mold. If you have any extra, simple place in a freezer safe bowl and freeze.
- Smoothy Alternative: If you are looking for a Pina Colada Smoothy, simply place the drained pineapples in the freezer until frozen; refrigerate the pineapple juice (if using), and light coconut milk. Once the pineapples are frozen, place in a high-speed blender, along with all the other remaining ingredients, blend on high until smooth. Serve.
- Sorbet-Like Alternative: If you are looking for a “sorbet-like” dessert. You can follow the instructions for making the Smoothy Alternative above, then place the Smoothy mixture into a freezer container, place in the freezer for several hours just until almost completely frozen, then stir and enjoy.
- In a Hurry Removal: Loosen the popsicles from the mold by tugging outward on the individual sides of the popsicle mold (if silicon), on all sides to loosen, then gently place a blunt-ended knife down the sides to loosen. This only works on silicon molds. The popsicles immediately release.
Leftovers and Freezing:
Keep treats frozen up to 3 months.
- Pineapple Chunks: We used a 20 oz. can Dole Pineapple Chunks in 100% pineapple juice. Feel free to use your favorite canned pineapple chunks or use fresh or frozen pineapple.
- High speed blender (or food processor)
- Popsicle mold
- Popsicle sticks
Brimming with pineapple and coconut flavors, these Healthy Pina Colada Popsicles are a fun non-alcoholic twist on a classic topical cocktail!
- 1 – [ 20 oz. can ] pineapple chunks, drained (or fresh or frozen)
- ¼ cup pineapple juice (drained from can) (optional) *
- 1 to 3 Tablespoon pure maple syrup (+/-) (optional) *
- ½ cup light unsweetened coconut milk (+/-)
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract (+/-) (optional) *
- 1/8 teaspoon rum extract (+/-) (optional) *
- Place a colander over a bowl and drain the can of pineapple chunks into the bowl to retain the pineapple juice.
- Place all the Ingredients into a high-speed blender, blend on high until smooth.
- Pour into popsicle mold, add sticks, and freeze at least 8 hours or until completely frozen.
- Remove popsicles from molds (see blog post for tips and tricks). Store remaining popsicles in individual freezer bags and return to the freezer.
* Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
* Servings: Makes 7 to 10 frozen treats
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.