Healthy Chai Spice Snickerdoodles! When the beloved chai latte comes in a delicious and wholesome cookie, we can’t get enough – YUM!
Soft, chewy, and cakey, these Healthy Chai Spice Snickerdoodles are brimming with aromatic spices and holiday vibes. Perfect for the holiday cookie baking season or every day, this tasty cookie will certainly become a favorite.
Whole Food Plant Based, Vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
Hi there, Ameera here!
If you love chai spice and if you love snickerdoodles, then this tasty cookie is right up your alley. Perfect for the holidays!
You gotta give this one a try!
Tips for Success:
- Flavor Profile: Soft, chewy, yet cakey, and delicious, these Chai Spice Snickerdoodles are Chai Spice flavor forward. If you love Chai Spices, then you will enjoy these tasty snickerdoodle cookies. If you are not a fan of Chai Spice, then perhaps consider skipping this recipe.
- Chai Spice: Chai spices typically consist of cinnamon, ginger, cardamon, allspice, clove, and nutmeg; however, it is important to note that not every Chai Spice Blend has every single one of these spices. Also noteworthy is that different blends accent different spices. Some may be very ginger forward, while others are cinnamon forward. The beauty of this recipe is that you can adjust the Chai Spice blend to accent your favorites (or leave out those that you may not be fond of).
- Sweetener: We used date sugar, but you can pretty much use your favorite sweetener (date sugar, maple sugar, coconut sugar, etc.) in this recipe in equal amounts.
- Taste the Dough: The beauty of baking Whole Food Plant Based is that you can taste the cookie batter to see if you like it. Simply pinch off a tiny piece of dough and give it a taste to see if you enjoy the Chai Spice blend. If you wish, you can add more of your favorite spice, if needed.
- Cashew Butter Substitutions: You can substitute the cashew butter with almond butter.
- Cinnamon: Not all cinnamon is created equal. Some brands of cinnamon are light and passively flavored while others are strong, sharp, and astringent. Use judgement and start on the low end. If using Ceylon cinnamon which has a very light flavor, you may need to slightly ramp up the cinnamon. You can use your favorite cinnamon in this recipe; however, we strongly suggest starting on the low end until you have a strong understanding of how the cinnamon that you are using in this recipe impacts the flavor.
- Cream of Tartar: For the purposes of this recipe, cream of tartar adds a little tang to the cookie dough. It also helps create a chewy cookie.
- Medjool Dates: Medjool dates are typically very soft. However, if you are using a different date, test the date by pinching it. If the date is very soft, gooey, and pliable, then you can just add them to the food processor to break them up. If the dates are drier and stiff, then you will need to cover them with boiling water for about 20 minutes to soften them up before adding the dates to the food processor.
Leftovers and Freezing:
These cookies will generally keep 3 to 5 days. Store in a covered container.
These cookies freeze well.
- Date Sugar: We used Date Lady Date Sugar, please feel free to use your favorite date sugar (or other sweetener of choice.
- Cashew Butter: We used Artisana Organic Raw Vegan Cashew Butter. Feel free to use your favorite raw cashew butter in this recipe. Read the label, make sure the only ingredient is raw cashews. Do not use a salted or sweetened cashew butter.
- Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
- Food Processor
- Large baking sheet
- Parchment paper (or silicone baking mat)
- Wire cooling rack (optional)
If you try these aromatic cookies, we would love to know if you enjoy it as much as we do! Please leave us a review! Post a picture on Facebook or Instagram and tag us! We would love to hear from you.Print
Soft, chewy, and cakey, these Healthy Chai Spice Snickerdoodles are brimming with aromatic spices and holiday vibes.
- 1 cup rolled oats, chopped *
- 1 ½ cups almond flour (lightly packed)
- ½ cup date sugar (or sugar of choice) *
- 1 Tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar *
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt *
Chai Spice Blend Ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon *
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch ground allspice
- Pinch ground clove
- 6 Medjool dates, pitted *
- 1/3 cup cashew butter (or almond butter) *
- ¼ cup unsweetened plain plant milk
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
Cookie Rolling Ingredients:
- ¼ cup date sugar (or sugar of choice) *
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon *
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Place oven rack in the center position.
- Line a large baking sheet with silicone baking pads or parchment paper, set aside.
- Place the rolled oats into the food processor and pulse on and off for 30 seconds until the oats are finely chopped (not flour), then place in a large bowl.
- Add all the remaining Dry Ingredients and all the Chai Spice Blend Ingredients into the large bowl with the chopped oats, whisk well to combine, set aside.
- Place the pitted Medjool dates in a food processor and process to break them up, about one minute, then add to the large bowl.
- Next place all the remaining Wet Ingredients into the large bowl with the chopped dates and dry ingredients. Mix well to form a cohesive dough.
- Place all the Cookie Rolling Ingredients into a bowl, whisk well to combine, then set aside.
- Next take about a golf ball size of dough (medium cookie scoop) and roll it in your hands to form a tightly cohesive dough ball, then while still in your hands, slightly flatten the dough balls down into a cookie disk about ½ inch thickness, then place each cookie disk into the Cookie Rolling Mix. Roll around to ensure all sides are thoroughly coated, then place onto the parchment paper/silicone baking mat baking sheet.
- After all the cookies have been rolled into balls and flattened, then place in a preheated 350 F oven and bake for 11 to 13 minutes until the tops have crinkle cracked open and the cookies are set. The bottoms should be golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, allow the cookies to sit on the baking sheet(s) undisturbed for 5 minutes to firm up, then transfer to a wire cooling rack. Enjoy!
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: makes 24 to 26 cookies
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.