Easy Rice and Pinto Bean Bowl!
This Easy Rice and Pinto Bean Bowl comes together in a flash, is appealing to vegans and omnivores alike, and makes busy weeknight dinners a breeze! Tasty, filling, healthy, and oh-so-delicious, this bowl of goodness brings all those tasty Southwestern flavors together for a fantastic, fast, and flavorful dinner option.
Whole Food Plant Based, Vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
Hi there, Ameera here!
We absolutely LOVE this super-fast meal. You won’t believe how easy and quick it is to make using leftover rice, a can of beans, some corn, salsa, and Southwestern spices!
You gotta give this one a try!
Tips for Success:
- Flavor Profile: This is a fast and easy bean and rice dish that is healthy and satisfying. Salsa is the primary flavor component.
- Salsa: Select a salsa that you really enjoy as the salsa will be the base flavor for this dish.
- Low Fat Dish Expectations: This dish is designed to be a low-fat dish. It is not going to taste as decadent as a dish that has a higher fat content. It is very delicious, but we want to make sure the reader understands this. If you wish to make it more decadent, add some guacamole, avocado chunks, or vegan sour cream.
- Regular Chili Powder: Feel free to use your favorite chili powder, just be sure to select a mild one and not one that has a lot of heat to it (unless you want the heat).
- Mild Green Chiles: Be sure to watch the label as green chiles come in mild and hot.
- Cooked and Refrigerated Rice: Cooked and refrigerated rice works best when making this dish. If you use recently cooked rice, it will be too gummy and sticky. Using cooked and refrigerated rice (preferably made the day before or earlier in the day) allows the rice to dry out enough to showcase distinct individual grains of rice making a better textured dish.
- Amount of Rice: Feel free to increase the amount of rice used.
- Pinto Bean Substitutes: Feel free to substitute the pinto beans for your favorite bean.
Leftovers and Freezing:
Leftovers will generally keep 4 days in the refrigerator. Store in a covered container.
The bean/rice skillet can be frozen.
- Salsa: We used Tostitos Chunky Salsa (Mild). Feel free to use your favorite salsa.
- Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
- Large skillet or similar stock pot
If you try this easy and tasty dish, we would love to know if you enjoy it as much as we do! Please leave us a review! Post a picture on Facebook or Instagram and tag us! We would love to hear from you.Print
This Easy Rice and Pinto Bean Bowl comes together in a flash, is appealing to vegans and omnivores alike, and makes busy weeknight dinners a breeze!
- 1 – [ 15.5 oz. can ] pinto beans, drained and rinsed *
- 2 cups salsa (16 oz. jar) *
- 1 – [ 4.5 oz can ] mild chopped green chiles, drained *
- 1 cup corn (canned, fresh, or frozen)
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (or rice of choice)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons regular chili powder (+/-) *
- 1 teaspoon cumin (+/-)
- Pinch to ¼ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
Optional Serving Ideas:
- Sliced green onions
- Pickled jalapeno peppers
- Chopped cilantro
- Avocado chunks/guacamole
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Vegan sour cream
- Place all the Ingredients and Herb/Spice Ingredients into a skillet, stir well. Heat over medium heat until everything is heated through, approximately 3 to 5 minutes.
- Place some shredded lettuce into an individual serving bowl, add some bean/rice mixture, top with diced tomatoes. Optional toppings include vegan sour cream, sliced green onions, pickled jalapeno peppers, and chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.