Easy Burnt Ends BBQ Soy Curls! When you’re looking for a hearty and “meaty” texture, soy curls for the win!
We can’t get enough of these Easy Burnt Ends BBQ Soy Curls; they’re pure barbecue heaven! Caramelized BBQ sauce coated soy curls are a snap to make and oh so delicious to eat. You won’t believe how easy this recipe is; bring on the dill pickles and sandwich buns, it’s time to eat!
Whole Food Plant Based, Vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
Hi there, Ameera here!
We love soy curls! AND we love soy curls coated in a fantastic BBQ sauce. We absolutely love our Sweet and Smoky BBQ Sauce (Sweet Baby Ray’s Healthy Copycat). However, feel free to use your favorite BBQ sauce in this recipe.
Broiling the BBQ soy curls to perfection to get those tidbits of “burnt ends” caramelization is just sooo yummy!
You gotta give this one a try!
Tips for Success:
- Flavor Profile: These BBQ soy curls taste amazing using your favorite BBQ sauce. The BBQ sauce caramelizes to create that yummy burnt-end flavor.
- Soaking of the Soy Curls: Typically, soy curls are soaked for 10 minutes; however, we are only soaking them for 7 minutes. This helps prevent an overly spongy soy curl. They are firmer with better texture.
- Single Layer, Cohesive Rectangle: What we are trying to accomplish is creating a single layer of soy curls that all lay together creating a block of soy curls. Scattering the soy curls on the pan is not recommended, you will get too much burnt ends and the pan will burn where the BBQ sauce lays on the pan.
- Wipe up any excess BBQ sauce: Another key element is to take a damp paper towel and wipe up any BBQ sauce that is outside of the rectangular block of soy curls. This helps prevent the pan from becoming burnt due to the over-caramelization of the BBQ sauce that lays on the pan. Be careful after you flip the soy curls because the pan will be hot.
Leftovers and Freezing:
Leftovers will generally keep for 4-5 days in the refrigerator. Store in a covered container. Reheating can be done on the stovetop, oven, or in the microwave.
This dish can be frozen.
Pantry Products Used:
- BBQ Sauce: We used our Sweet and Smoky BBQ Sauce (Sweet Baby Ray’s Healthy Copycat). Feel free to use your favorite BBQ sauce.
- Soy Curls: We used an 8 oz. package of Butler Soy Curls. To learn more about Soy Curls, see the following blog post “What are Soy Curls!”
Kitchen Products Used:
- Baking sheet
If you try this flavorful dish, we would love to know if you enjoy it as much as we do! Please leave us a review! Post a picture on Facebook or Instagram and tag us! We would love to hear from you.Print
Easy Burnt Ends BBQ Soy Curls
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Total Time: 20 Minutes
- Yield: 4-6 Servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
We can’t get enough of these Easy Burnt Ends BBQ Soy Curls; they’re pure barbecue heaven!
- 1 – [ 8 oz. package ] soy curls *
- 2 ¼ cups water
- 1 ½ cups BBQ sauce, divided
Optional Serving Ideas:
- Extra BBQ sauce
- Sandwich buns
- Dill pickle slices
- Place the water into a deep bowl, whisk in ¼ cup of BBQ sauce, mix well. Then place the soy curls into the bowl, toss around, and press down the soy curls into the water/BBQ sauce mix.
- Allow the soy curls to soak for 7 minutes. Important: Set a timer to ensure that the soy curls do not soak longer than 7 minutes. After 7 minutes, dump the soy curls into a strainer to drain off any excess water, using the palm of your hand, press down slightly on the soaked soy curls to allow them to release any excess water.
- Set the oven to high broil, place the oven rack to the 2nd highest position closest to the broiler element.
- Place the soaked and drained soy curls into a deep bowl, add 1 cup of BBQ sauce, mix well to evenly and thoroughly coat, then dump the BBQ covered soy curls in the center of a baking sheet. Starting from the center, press the soy curls outward to arrive at a single, cohesive layer (rectangle) of soy curls. Using a damp paper towel, carefully wipe up any BBQ sauce that is outside of the cohesive block of BBQ coated soy curls to prevent the pan from burning. See the blog photos for reference.
- Put the soy curls in the oven under the broiler element for 5 minutes. Watch them carefully, the BBQ coated soy curls will start to caramelize under the broiler. Reference the blog photos.
- After 5 minutes, remove from the oven, carefully flip the soy curls over, and create a cohesive, single layer (rectangle) of soy curls. Add ¼ cup of BBQ sauce on top of the soy curls and spread it over the soy curls using the back of the spoon. Using a damp paper towel, carefully wipe up any BBQ sauce that is outside of the cohesive block of BBQ coated soy curls to prevent the pan from burning. Be careful, the pan is hot.
- Place the BBQ soy curls back into the oven under the broiler rack for another 5 minutes to repeat the process of caramelization.
- After 5 minutes, remove from the oven and flip the soy curls over and over to mix them up. Allow the BBQ soy curls to set for 2 minutes on the baking pan. Serve and enjoy.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: 4 to 6
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.
I have a new fave snack — these are amazing –
Hi there David 🙂
Yaaaayyy! We are so thrilled that you enjoyed this recipe. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome review with us. We appreciate you taking the time to write.
-Ameera and Robin 🙂
I think you turned my wife vegan with this one. I make a lot of your dishes, but this one really got my Omni wife excited. I wish I knew how to send you a photo of it. We made it exactly per the recipe and use Kinder BBQ sauce.
Hi there David,
WOOOO HOOOOO!!! We are so excited that your wife enjoyed this recipe! Thank you so much for taking time to write us an awesome review.
-Ameera and Robin
What a great recipe. Love having something else to use with your BBQ sauce!
Hey there Sandra,
YAYYYY!!! We are thrilled that you enjoyed this recipe and love having something else to use with our BBQ sauce. Thank you so much for taking time to leave us a great review.
-Ameera and Robin
I saw a post with this recipe today and a lightbulb went off. I wanted something quick and easy for dinner tonight plus I wanted to clean out the freezer. I had a package of soy curls in there. I used a 1/4 sheet pan and the curls fit perfectly inside. With a topper of bread and butter chips, it was a grand slam dinner. Excellent!
Hi there Susan,
WOOOO HOOOO!!! We are so happy that you found this recipe to be a grand slam!!! Thank you so much for taking time to leave us a great review.
-Ameera and Robin