Broccoli Slaw with Lemon Dressing! This quick and healthy side dish is brimming with nourishing veggies.
A delicious combination of sweet and tangy, this wholesome Broccoli Slaw with Lemon Dressing is sure to be a hit at your next summer family gathering. Fresh lemon, sweet apples, and crisp broccoli shine in this light and flavorful easy-to-make slaw.
Whole Food Plant Based, Vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
Hi there, Ameera here!
This lemony fresh broccoli slaw shouts summer! The broccoli, lemon, and apples are a wonder pairing of tart and sweet.
You gotta give this one a try!
Tips for Success:
- Flavor Profile: This broccoli slaw has a summer vibe of freshness. There is a beautiful play between the tart lemon flavor coupled with tanginess. The Gala apples provide a sweet crunchy contrast. All the fresh veggies and apples shine. The flavor is milder, allowing the ingredients to play a major role in this fresh slaw, but the tanginess can easily be increased by adding more vinegar.
- Differing Opinions: Our family was completely divided on this recipe from a variety of differing aspects. Some wanted more sweetness; others thought the lemon was too strong, while others adored the fresh lemon flavors and wanted more. Feel free to adjust to suit your own personal preferences.
- Broccoli Slaw: Most large grocery stores sell a broccoli slaw mix in a bag in the packaged salad section of the store. Most broccoli slaws consist of broccoli, carrots, and red cabbage.
- Dijon Mustard: We used a Dijon mustard; however, feel free to substitute with your flavor yellow or stoneground mustard.
- Sweet Apples: We used Gala apples because they are very sweet; however, feel free to use your sweet favorite apples (unpeeled). Always select firm, ripe apples free of bruising.
- Julienne Sliced Apples: Cut the apples into thin straw-like cuts.
- Soaking the Apples: The best way to keep the apples fresh looking and to prevent browning is as follows. Use a glass bowl, and add couple tablespoons of lemon juice. Then as you sliced the apples into “julienne-style straws”, place them in the bowl and roll them around the lemon juice (Note: You may need to add another splash of lemon juice, if needed to ensure all the apples got a splash of lemon juice). Continue until all the apples have been sliced into small pieces, roll them around in the lemon juice, then drain off the lemon juice before adding to the bowl to mix with the other ingredients.
- Fresh Lemon Juice and Fresh Lemon Zest: Fresh lemon juice and fresh lemon zest provide superior freshness of flavor for this salad. If using bottled lemon juice, consider scaling back the amount.
Leftovers and Freezing:
Leftovers will generally keep 5 days in the refrigerator. Store in a covered container.
This broccoli slaw cannot be frozen.
- Dijon Mustard: We used Koops Dijon Mustard. Feel free to use your favorite Dijon mustard.
- Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
- Whisk or fork, High-Speed Blender, Food Processor, or Hand Mixer
- Citrus zester
A delicious combination of sweet and tangy, this wholesome Broccoli Slaw with Lemon Dressing is sure to be a hit at your next summer family gathering.
- 1 – [ 12 oz. package ] broccoli slaw mix *
- 2 sweet apples, unpeeled, julienne sliced *
- 6 to 8 green onions, sliced
- 1 ¼ teaspoons poppy seeds (optional)
- ½ cup + 2 Tablespoons unsweetened plain plant yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice *
- 1 to 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest *
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup (+/-)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (+/-) *
- ¼ to 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- Place all the Base Ingredients into a large bowl, set aside.
- Place all the Dressing Ingredients into a small bowl, food processor, or high-speed blender, mix well until smooth and emulsified.
- Pour the dressing over top of the broccoli slaw ingredients, mix well. Serve and enjoy!
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: makes 8 cups
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.