Vegan Jumbo Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies! Chocolate chip cookies are the quintessential American cookie and for good reason: chewy, chocolatey, “buttery,” and decadent. We got a delicious twist you won’t want to miss!
Healthy, rich, and utterly irresistible, these tasty Vegan Jumbo Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies are brimming with wholesome plant-based ingredients and sure to please. Jumbo-sized, soft, chewy, chocolatey chip goodness reins supreme in these heavenly cookies.
Whole Food Plant Based, Vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
Hi there, Ameera here!
Vegan Jumbo Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies are ultra-thick, filled with melty chocolate chips and walnuts. Soft and chewy texture makes them the ultimate chocolate chop cookie recipe!
These cookies are crazy delicious! We loved the jumbo size and the texture was perfection!
Tips for Success:
- Almond Butter: Bring the almond butter to room temperature if it has been refrigerated. You want “semi-runny” almond butter. Thick, stiff, clumpy almond butter will not allow the almond butter to be evenly distributed.
- Cookie Formation and Size: Use a ¼ cup measuring cup to ensure similar sized cookies for even baking. The cookie dough dimensions are approximately 3 inches in diameter and ½ to 3/4 inch high. Shore up any edges to avoid the edges from over-browning. The cookies are large. You can make the cookies smaller with the understanding that you will need to reduce the baking time accordingly.
- Almond Butter Substitutions: This recipe was specifically created to use almond butter. You can substitute the almond butter for cashew butter or sun butter with the understanding that the flavor will change accordingly. We have not tested any substitutions.
- Almond Flour Substitutions: This recipe was specifically designed to use almond flour.
- Brown Rice Flour Substitutions: This recipe was specifically designed to use brown rice flour.
- Chopped Walnuts: Measure the walnuts after they have been chopped.
- Almond Flour: Very slightly pack the almond flour to arrive at the 1 cup measurement.
- Vegan Chocolate Chips: If you use Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mega Chunks, chop the larger chocolate chunks in half.
- Amount of Vegan Chocolate Chips: The amount largely depends on two things: 1) The dispersion of chocolate chips and 2) The size of the chocolate chips. We like a lot of chocolate chips in our cookies and you will notice from the photos that we used Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mega Chunks. We cut the longer log mega chunks in half and some in thirds. But in general the mega chunks take up more space in a one-cup measuring cup that do regular chocolate chips; so in other words, you won’t get as many as if you would if using regular chocolate chips. We suggest starting on the low end and adding more as you like. You will get a great idea of how many is “enough” simply by mixing them in.
- Maple Sugar: We get tons of questions about sweetener substitutions. We totally get it. Some folks want to use all Medjool dates, while others want to use all maple syrup. We’ve tried these cookies using all Medjool dates, they turned out gummy. We also tried using all maple syrup, they just didn’t hold up. Honestly, the best sweetener for this cookie recipe is maple sugar. Additionally, using date sugar is not recommended either as it just doesn’t have the same flavor and texture needed for this recipe. *** We also get lot questions about using coconut sugar, if your diet permits, you can substitute coconut sugar for the maple sugar. However, we have not tested with coconut sugar, many of our readers have let us know that coconut sugar works well as a substitute for maple sugar.
Leftovers and Freezing:
These cookies freeze well. Allow to come completely to room temperature, then wrap 1 to 3 cookies tightly in plastic wrap. Place the wrapped cookies into a freeze bag or container. Thaw to room temperature after freezing.
Pantry Products Used:
- Vegan Chocolate: We used Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mega Chunks. You can use your favorite dark or semi-sweet vegan chocolate. Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels are a great WFPB option.
Kitchen Products Used:
- Large non-stick skillet or similarly large skillet with a tight-fitting lid
- Kitchen Product we used: Ceramic/Enamel Lined Skillet with a tight-fitting lid
We certainly hope you give this deliciousness a try.
If you try this delicious sweet treat, we would love to know if you enjoy it as much as we do! Please leave us a review! Post a picture on Facebook or Instagram and tag us! We would love to hear from you.Print
Healthy, rich, and irresistible, these tasty Vegan Jumbo Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies are brimming with wholesome plant-based ingredients.
- 1 cup rolled oats, processed
- 1 cup almond flour *
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- 2 Tablespoons flax meal
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup maple sugar (or coconut sugar) *
- ½ teaspoon sea salt *
- ½ cup unsalted almond butter *
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon unsweetened applesauce (3.9 oz.)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup to 1 1/3 cups vegan chocolate chips *
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Place the oven rack in the upper-center
- Line a baking sheet with silicone baking pads or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place the rolled oats into the food processor, and pulse for 30 seconds to finely chop, then place into a large bowl.
- Then add all the remaining Dry Ingredients into the large bowl with the finely chopped oats, whisk until well combined.
- Then add the Wet Ingredients to the dry ingredients, stir until everything is mixed well. Then stir in the chopped walnuts and chocolate chips; mix well to evenly distribute.
- Scoop up the cookie dough into a ¼ cup measuring cup, even the surface for an accurate measurement, then scoop the dough out of the measuring cup, then roll into a ball and flatten into a large flat disk, similar to a burger, then set onto the cookie sheet. Continue until all the dough has been rolled and flattened. You may need to wash your hands in between every 3 or 4 cookies.
- Place in a preheated oven and bake at 350 F for 15 to 16 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: Makes 12 jumbo cookies
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.