Vegan French Onion Noodle Casserole! There’s nothing quite like the satisfying goodness of a pasta casserole, and we’ve got just the dish for you!
Healthy, hearty, and full of plant-based ingredients, this oil free Vegan French Onion Noodle Casserole is full of deliciousness! Creamy and reminiscent of French Onion Dip flavors, this comforting casserole features spaghetti coated in a delightful sauce that is sure to have everyone running back for seconds.
Whole Food Plant Based, Vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
Hi there, Ameera here!
We all fell in love with this tasty French Onion Noodle Casserole. It will give you hints and a nod to French Onion Dip! The comforts of french onion dip with hearty pasta makes for a dish you can’t resits. Yasmeen was in pasta heaven lol.
We hope you give this wholesome version a try!
Tips for Success:
- Flavor Profile: This creamy and delicious noodle casserole is a WFPB nod to French Onion Dip combined with tender noodles.
- Cashew Substitutes: You can substitute with the typical cashew substitutes like white beans, silken tofu or other nut or seeds with the understanding that the flavor and texture will change accordingly. We have not tried any of the suggested substitutions. Additionally, using ingredients that are lower in fat will result in less “richness.”
- Sauciness: You can control the “cheese” sauce to pasta ratio by simply using 10 oz. of pasta. If you want a little less sauciness, then use 12 oz. We used 10 oz. of spaghetti.
- Pasta of choice: You can use your favorite Whole Food Plant Based pasta or gluten free pasta in this dish. We used spaghetti style pasta.
Leftovers and Freezing:
Leftovers will generally keep for 4-5 days in the refrigerator. Store in a covered container. Reheating can be done on the stovetop, oven, or in the microwave.
This dish can be frozen; however, it is best if served immediately after making or after refrigerating leftovers. Pasta does tend to get a little mushy after freezing.
Pantry Products Used:
- Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients.
- Tamari: We used San J Tamari Soy Sauce, Gluten Free, Reduced Sodium. You can substitute the tamari with reduced sodium soy sauce, Braggs Liquid Aminos, or Braggs Coconut Liquid Aminos.
- Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
Kitchen Products Used:
- Stock pot to cook the pasta
- High-Speed Blender
- Casserole/Baking Dish (we used an 11x7x3)
We certainly hope you give this deliciousness a try.
If you try this comforting casserole, we would love to know if you enjoy it as much as we do! Please leave us a review! Post a picture on Facebook or Instagram and tag us! We would love to hear from you.Print
Healthy, hearty, and full of plant-based ingredients, this oil free Vegan French Onion Noodle Casserole is full of deliciousness!
- ½ cup (raw) cashews
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth *
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup unsweetened plain plant milk
- 1 Tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari *
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
Sauce Herb/Spice Ingredients:
- 1 ¼ teaspoons onion powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 Tablespoons dried minced onions
- ½ to 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 10 to 12 oz. spaghetti *
- 2 Tablespoons Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Place the cashews in a small bowl, cover with boiling water, set aside for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, discard the water and add to high-speed blender in Step 4.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions to al dente, drain, rinse with cold water to remove any excess starch, shake well, set aside.
- Add all the Sauce Ingredients, Spice/Herb Ingredients, and soaked cashews into the high-speed blender. Blend on high until smooth and emulsified. Taste test and adjust seasonings accordingly. Add the dried parsley and pulse just to incorporate, do not blend.
- Place the cooked pasta back into a large bowl, then pour the sauce over top, mix well to combine. Pour the mixture into a casserole dish, then sprinkle the Vegan Parmesan Cheese. Cover with foil or covering.
- Bake covered in a preheated 375 F oven for 15 minutes, switch to high-broil just to toast the top to a golden brown, then remove from the oven and allow to set for 8 minutes.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.