Vegan Creamy Bowties and Broccoli! Who is in the mood for pasta? We’ve got both hands raised high, and this awesome dish is sure to make your belly happy!
Dreamy and delicious, this oil free Vegan Creamy Bowties and Broccoli is hearty comfort food that is both healthy and flavorful. Tender pasta and broccoli bathe in a luxurious white sauce that will have the family seated at the table in a flash!
Whole Food Plant Based, Vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
Hi there, Ameera here!
Yasmeen gobbled this dish up so fast we had to keep reminding her to “chew”! She practically inhaled it. We loved it too! It’s perfectly comforting and oh-so-delicious!
Not a fan of broccoli? No worries, this dish is easily versatile by using your favorite veggie(s). You gotta give this one a try!
Tips for Success:
- Flavor Profile: The flavor profile is a creamy, lightly cheesy white sauce with a hint of tang.
- Nutritional Yeast: The nutritional yeast is subtle in this recipe. If you want more of a “cheesy” flavor, then feel free to ramp up on the nutritional yeast.
- Frozen Baby Broccoli Florets: We used about ½ a bag from a 14.4 oz package of Birds Eye Frozen Baby Broccoli Florets. You can use fresh broccoli as long as you cook it to a tender stage. Additionally, you do not need baby broccoli florets. You can use regular broccoli florets, just cut them into smaller pieces (if you wish).
- Pasta: Feel free to use your favorite pasta with this dish.
- Cashew Substitutions: You can try the traditional substitutions: silken tofu, white beans, other nuts or seeds with the understanding that the flavor and texture will change accordingly, and you may need to add ingredients, etc. We have not tested any substitutions.
- Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
Leftovers and Freezing:
Leftovers will generally keep for 4-5 days in the refrigerator. Store in a covered container. Reheating can be done on the stovetop, or in the microwave.
This dish can be frozen; however, it is best if served immediately after making or after refrigerating leftovers. Pasta does tend to get a little mushy after freezing.
Pantry Products Used:
- Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients.
- Ume Plum Vinegar: We used Eden Ume Plum Vinegar. We get a lot of questions on ume plum vinegar. It is fairly inexpensive and adds amazing flavor. You can find it in most health food grocery stores. You can leave it out if you can’t find it, adjust your flavors accordingly.
Kitchen Products Used:
- High-speed blender
- Enamel/Ceramic-lined skillet or similarly large non-stick skillet
- Stock pot to cook the pasta
If you try this comforting pasta dish, we would love to know if you enjoy it as much as we do! Please leave us a review! Post a picture on Facebook or Instagram and tag us! We would love to hear from you.Print
Dreamy and delicious, this oil free Vegan Creamy Bowties and Broccoli is hearty comfort food that is both healthy and flavorful.
- 1/4 cup (raw) cashews
- 1 ½ to 2 cups frozen baby broccoli florets *
- 1 medium yellow onion, fine dice
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ cup unsweetened plain plant milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ume plum vinegar *
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
Sauce Spice/Herb Ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onions
- ¾ teaspoon dried ground mustard powder
- ¼ to 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- 8 to 10 oz. bowties pasta *
Optional Topping Ingredients:
- Freshly chopped parsley
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside until ready to use.
- In the meantime, place the cashews into a small bowl, cover with boiling water. Allow to sit for 10 minutes, then drain off the liquid and discard. Then place the cashews into a high-speed blender.
- Place the broccoli florets into a microwave safe bowl, and microwave according to package directions to reach the desired level of tenderness. Set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel lined skillet, or non-stick skillet, add the diced onions, sauté over medium-high heat for 7 to 9 minutes to soften. Add a splash of water to prevent sticking and/or burning. Then add the finely minced garlicand sauté over medium heat for one minute. Remove from the stove.
- Next add the sauteed onions and garlic, along with all the Sauce Ingredients and the Sauce Spice/Herb Ingredientsinto the high-speed blender along with the soaked cashews. Blend on high until the sauce is creamy, emulsified, and smooth.
- Add the sauce to the skillet that was used to sauté the onions and garlic. Bring to a boil, then immediately lower to a simmer. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes to thicken the sauce.Then add the cooked pasta and cooked broccoli, and heat through until hot.
- Serve with freshly chopped parsley and a sprinkle of Vegan Parmesan Cheese.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: 4 to 5
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.