Oil Free Heirloom Tomato Salad! Summer isn’t summer without a delicious tomato salad, and this one is simple with a splash of elegance.
This heavenly Oil Free Heirloom Tomato Salad is the perfect healthy summer side dish. Juicy tomatoes, fresh basil, and red onions drizzled in a delightfully fresh summer red wine vinaigrette is all we want for summer. Dollops of vegan ricotta cheese and a sprinkle of toasted pine nuts takes this salad to the next level.
Whole Food Plant Based, Vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
Hi there, Ameera here!
We are a tomato loving family, our gardens boast the most delicious tomatoes ever! There isn’t anything as delicious as a fresh garden tomato just picked from the vine still warm from the summer sun! Pure heaven!
Making this delicious heirloom tomato salad will definitely put a smile on all tomato lovers faces! No heirloom tomatoes? No problem, a nice beef-steak style tomato will make a perfect substitution.
You gotta give this one a try!
Tips for Success:
- Flavor Profile: This heirloom tomato salad is delicious, all the fresh garden ingredient come through. The fresh basil is strongly featured. Be generous with the basil leaves as they add excellent pizzaz. Because we use no oil, the flavors are not weighed down and come through beautifully. The dressing is very zippy but is tempered by the sweet cherry tomatoes and vegan ricotta cheese. Heirloom tomatoes are typically not as sweet as regular tomatoes or cherry/grape tomatoes.
- Heirloom Tomato Substitutions: You don’t have to use heirloom tomatoes. You can use any fresh garden tomatoes.
- Vegan Ricotta Cheese: This is an optional ingredient but adds delicious creaminess. Feel free to use your favorite Vegan Ricotta Cheese recipe or use store bought for convenience. Our favorite brand is Kite Hill Vegan Ricotta Cheese. If making your own, please make it the day before so it can set up properly in the fridge.
- Toasted Pine Nuts: The toasted pine nuts are optional, but add extra deliciousness to this simple recipe. To toast pine nuts, simple place the pine nuts into a dry, non-stick skillet and heat over medium heat until they start to turn golden. Watch them very carefully as they burn easily. Once they are golden, remove them from the pan as they will continue to brown as the pan cools and could get potentially burn.
- Serve at Room Temperature: This salad is meant to be served at room temperature. (Refrigerate any leftovers).
- Dressing Amount: You may or may not have dressing left over. We had some leftover and could have added a few more large tomatoes.
- Make Ahead: You can make this dish ahead of time, but as you know refrigerated tomatoes are not as tasty. If you do make it ahead of time, do not add the salad dressing. Pull the dish from the refrigerator and allow to sit for 20 minutes to let the flavors wake up. Wait until you are ready to serve them pour the salad dressing over top of the tomatoes, avoiding the ricotta cheese.
- Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
Leftovers and Freezing:
Leftovers will generally keep for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator. Store in a covered container. When serving refrigerated tomato salads, remove from the fridge and let it sit for 20 minutes to allow the flavors to wake up.
This dish cannot be frozen.
Pantry Products Used:
- Miso: We used Miso Master Organic Mellow White Premium Lite Miso, Certified Gluten Free. Miso really lends itself to balancing flavors when you don’t use oil. You can also use chickpea miso for a soy free version.
- Vegan Ricotta Cheese: We test used Kite Hill Ricotta Cheese (for convenience). Feel free to use your favorite vegan ricotta cheese.
Kitchen Products Used:
- Whisk (or fork)
This heavenly Oil Free Heirloom Tomato Salad with vegan ricotta and pine nuts make for a healthy and elegant summer side dish.
- 5 to 6 large heirloom tomatoes, cut into thick ½-inch slices *
- 1 to 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved *
- ¼ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh whole basil leaves
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon tahini
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons miso *
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch to ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ to 1/3 cup vegan ricotta cheese *
- Sprinkle toasted pine nuts
- Fresh basil leaves
- Place all the Dressing Ingredients into a bowl, whisk well until emulsified.
- Pour about 2 Tablespoons of the dressing onto a serving plate, spread it lightly over the plate.
- Arrange some of the sliced heirloom tomatoes onto the plate in a single layer. Drizzle some of the dressing over the tomatoes. Tuck in some fresh basil leaves and some red onions.
- Arrange a second layer of the sliced heirloom tomatoes over the first layer. Tuck in the halved cherry tomatoes, red onion slices, and some basil leaves all over the plate. Drizzle with more dressing.
- If desired, dollop with some ricotta cheese pieces and sprinkle with pine nuts. Drizzle with more dressing and top with more basil leaves.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: 3 to 4
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.