Homemade Rhubarb Applesauce! Don’t sleep on homemade applesauce. It’s so simple to make and beyond any flavor you’d get from the store bought version.
Sweet, tart, and oh-so-delicious, this easy-to-make Homemade Rhubarb Applesauce is sure to make you an applesauce lover. You’ll be craving this sweet treat, and fighting over who gets the last bite. Served warm or cold, it’s so much better than store bought.
Whole Food Plant Based, Vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
Hi there, Ameera here!
We love homemade applesauce; it’s just so easy to make. We loved the idea of adding some rhubarb in since my garden is overflowing with rhubarb. You just can’t beat the fresh taste and combination of sweet and tart flavors.
It reminds me of delicious apple pie filling with a touch of tasty tartness. You gotta give this one a try!
Tips for Success:
- Flavor: This homemade rhubarb applesauce is lightly sweet with a hint of tart, and the best part, it’s very easy to make. Just 4 ingredients and you will have the tastiest applesauce that you have ever eaten.
- Apples: We used 3 large McIntosh apples and 2 gala apples in this applesauce. Feel free to use your favorite apples. The sweetness or tartness of the applesauce is largely dependent upon the variety of apple selected. Additionally, rhubarb is tart. This rhubarb applesauce is both tart and sweet. We loved it like that.
- Rhubarb: Most large grocery stores carry rhubarb pretty much all year long. Feel free to use fresh or frozen rhubarb.
- Rhubarb to Apples Ratio: You can easily double or cut this recipe in half. The rhubarb to apples ratio is 1:2. In other words, for every one cup of rhubarb, use two cups of apples.
- Cinnamon: Not all cinnamon is created equal. Some brands of cinnamon are light and passively flavored while others are strong and sharp. Start on the low end and build up after taste testing.
Leftovers and Freezing:
Leftovers will generally keep 7 days in the refrigerator. Store in a covered container.
This applesauce cannot be frozen.
- Large stock pot
If you try this awesome applesauce, we would love to know if you enjoy it as much as we do! Please leave us a review! Post a picture on Facebook or Instagram and tag us! We would love to hear from you.Print
Sweet, tart, and oh-so-delicious, this easy-to-make Homemade Rhubarb Applesauce is sure to make you an applesauce lover.
- 6 cups peeled, cored, and diced apples (1-inch dice)*
- 3 to 3 ½ cups 1-inch chunks rhubarb *
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon *
- Place all the Ingredients into a large stock pot, bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, simmer covered for 18 to 20 minutes or until the fruit is perfectly tender, stirring occasionally.
- Once the fruit is tender, use a potato masher and mash the fruit until it reaches the desired consistency. There will be a few tiny pieces of fruit chunks remaining. Cook, stirring occasionally for several more minutes after mashing. Taste test, add more maple syrup and cinnamon to suit your personal preferences. (Note: If you want a perfectly smooth sauce, then remove from the stove, allow to cool slightly and then process in batches in a food processor or blender). Serve warm or cold.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Servings: 6 to 8 Makes 4 cups
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.