Easy Fold-Over Bean Enchiladas! Trivia time: what won’t we pour enchilada sauce over? Great question; it’s still to be determined. In the meantime, please enjoy these Fold-Over Bean Enchilada – YUM!
Comforting, hearty, and healthy, these Easy Fold-Over Bean Enchiladas are a fun and delicious way to spice up your weeknight dinner! Simple to make without requiring any precooking, you’ll wonder where they have been all your life. Loaded with spicy Mexican flavors, this dish is a nice change of pace from traditional enchiladas.
Whole Food Plant Based, Vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
Hi there, Ameera here!
We are an enchilada loving family! Enchiladas are Mom’s favorite! I love the simplicity of this dish and how it comes together with no fuss.
You gotta give this one a try!
Tips for Success:
- Flavor Profile: These easy fold-over bean enchiladas allow black beans, pinto beans, and warming Mexican spices to shine in this flavorful Mexican inspired bean bake.
- Low-Fat Dish Expectations: This dish was designed to be low in fat. Because it is low in fat, you are not going to experience that endorphin rush associated with eating high-fat foods when eating this dish. It is very tasty for what it is, and that is a low-fat dish. We just want to make sure that our Readers recognize this when contemplating making this recipe. If you wish to make it more indulgent, add the vegan sour cream, chopped avocadoes or guacamole.
- Beans: We used black beans and pinto beans. Feel free to use your favorite beans.
- Enchilada Sauce: We used our Enchilada Sauce. Feel free to use your favorite enchilada sauce recipe or store-bought enchilada sauce. If purchasing from the store, be sure to select a mild enchilada sauce.
- Green Chiles: We used canned mild green chiles. Feel free to use your favorite green chiles, either mild, medium, or hot.
Leftovers and Freezing:
Leftovers will generally keep 4 to 5 days in the refrigerator. Store in a covered container.
This dish freezes well.
- Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
- 9 x 13 baking dish
If you try these delicious enchiladas, we would love to know if you enjoy it as much as we do! Please leave us a review! Post a picture on Facebook or Instagram and tag us! We would love to hear from you.Print
Comforting, hearty, and healthy, these Easy Fold-Over Bean Enchiladas are a fun and delicious way to spice up your weeknight dinner!
Enchilada Sauce Mix Ingredients:
- 2 cups enchilada sauce *
- 1 – [ 4.5 oz. can ] mild green chiles, undrained *
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 – [ 15.5 oz. can ] pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 – [ 15.5 oz. can ] black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder (+/-)
- 1 ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- Pinch to ¼ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- 8 – [ 6 inch ] corn tortillas *
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped tomatoes
- Chopped avocadoes/guacamole
- Sliced green onions/red onions
- Vegan sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place the Enchilada Sauce Mix Ingredients in a small bowl, whisk well to combine, set aside.
- In a large bowl, add all the Filling Ingredients into a bowl, mix well, then use a potato masher (or fork) and mash the ingredients to create a semi-mashed filling.
- Place ½ cup of the sauce to coat the bottom of a baking dish.
- Wrap the stack of tortillas in a damp paper towel, place in the microwave, microwave on high for 15 to 30 seconds just to warm them up to be more flexible. (Or wrap in a damp tea towel and place them in a warm oven (200 F) for 8 to 10 minutes to warm up.)
- Lay a warmed tortilla on a flat surface, scoop up slightly less than 1/3 cup of the filling and spread it across half of the tortilla, then fold the tortilla in half. Arrange the folded tortilla in the baking dish (over top of the small amount of enchilada sauce). Repeat this process until all the tortillas have been filled, folded, and arranged in the baking dish.
- Top the folded tortillas with the remaining sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 F for 35 minutes or until heated through.
- Serving ideas: Serve with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, vegan sour cream, chopped avocadoes or guacamole.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.