Southern Molasses Pinto Bean Salad! Chop, mix, and enjoy; you’re going to love this simple and hearty salad!
Sweet and smoky, this oil free Southern Molasses Pinto Bean Salad is reminiscent of cold baked beans, but in delicious salad form. A perfect salad for potlucks, picnics, and holiday dinner tables alike. You won’t believe how fast and easy this tasty salad is to make.
Whole Food Plant Based, Vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
Hi there, Ameera here!
This salad is so easy to make and crazy delicious! We gobbled it down in no time. Dad grabbed some and made a sandwich out of it with some toast! We were like, well OK then! He declared it tasty!
You gotta give this one a try!
Tips for Success:
- Flavor Profile: This fast and easy bean salad is reminiscent of cold baked beans. It’s rich, sweet, and smoky. The crunchiness of the celery, green bell peppers, and red onions pair perfectly with the tender pinto beans.
- Red Onions: We enjoy red onions, start low and build from there. If you have an especially sharp-tasting red onion, you may wish to consider chopping the red onion, then placing it in a small bowl and cover the chopped red onions with some warm tap water for 7 minutes. This will take some of the sharpness out of the onion. Drain well, shake off any excess water, then use in the salad.
- Dressing: The dressing is sweet and smoky. It is on the thicker side but will thin out somewhat when covering the salad ingredients.
Leftovers and Freezing:
Leftovers will generally keep for 4-5 days in the refrigerator. Store in a covered container.
This dish cannot be frozen.
Pantry Products Used:
- Sundried Tomatoes: Be sure to select oil free sundried tomatoes. They are typically dried like dates. We used Mediterranean Organic Sundried Roman Tomatoes.
- Miso: We used Miso Master Organic Mellow White Premium Lite Miso, Certified Gluten Free. Miso really lends itself to balancing flavors when you don’t use oil. You can also use chickpea miso for a soy free version.
- Molasses: We used Grandma’s Unsulfured Original Molasses. Feel free to use your favorite molasses. We do not recommend black strap molasses. The molasses adds excellent depth of flavor and is reminiscent of brown sugar.
- Yellow Prepared Mustard: We used French’s Classic Yellow Mustard. Feel free to use your favorite yellow prepared mustard.
- Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
Kitchen Products Used:
- Food processor
Sweet and smoky, this oil free Southern Molasses Pinto Bean Salad is reminiscent of cold baked beans, but in delicious salad form.
- 1 green bell pepper, small dice
- 2 – [ 15 oz. cans ] pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup red onion, fine dice
- 2 celery ribs, small dice
- 12 sundried tomato halves (1/2 cup)
- 3 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon yellow prepared mustard *
- 1 Tablespoons white miso *
- 2 Tablespoons molasses *
- 3 Tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- Pinch to 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- Place the sundried tomato halves into a small bowl, cover with boiling water, allow to steep for 10 minutes, then drain off the excess liquid. Set aside.
- In the meantime, place all the Base Ingredients into a bowl, mix well to evenly distribute the ingredients.
- Please the steeped sundried tomatoes and all the remaining Dressing Ingredients into a food processor and process until the dressing is well blended and smooth.
- Pour the dressing over top the bean mixture, mix well. Taste test and add adjust seasonings/ingredients accordingly. Serve and enjoy!
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: Makes 4 ½ to 5 cups
This post contains affiliate links, and we may receive a very small commission if you purchase through those links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Monkey and Me Kitchen Adventures! For more information, see our disclosures here.