Rich, decadent, and oh-so-flavorful, this Sweet and Smoky BBQ Sauce is a healthy nod to the famous Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce.
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 Tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1/3 to ½ cup organic maple syrup (+/-) *
- 3 Tablespoons molasses
- ¼ cup pineapple juice *
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke *
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium tamari *
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon regular chili powder *
- 1 ¼ teaspoons smoked paprika
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (or arrowroot powder) *
- 2 Tablespoons water
- Place all the ingredients into a small sauce pot, whisk really well to incorporate all the ingredients, bring to a boil, then immediately lower to a low boil, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Make a slurry by placing 2 teaspoons of cornstarch (or arrowroot powder) with 2 Tablespoons water, whisk to remove all the lumps, then add to the sauce. Increase the heat to boiling, stir, then lower heat to a low boil, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool.
*Maple Syrup: Our family had varying opinions on the amount of maple syrup to use. The sweeter version (1/2 cup of maple syrup) leans more toward the Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce version and works really well with our Vegan BBQ “Chicken” Patty. However, we also loved the 1/3 cup of maple syrup as it really allowed the tanginess to shine. We suggest you start with 1/3 cup and add more as you taste test the sauce after it has cooked for about 7 minutes. Add more if needed.
*Liquid Smoke: We used Colgin Natural Hickory Liquid Smoke.
*Tamari: We used San J Tamari Soy Sauce, Gluten Free, Reduced Sodium. You can substitute the tamari with reduced sodium soy sauce, Braggs Liquid Aminos, or Braggs Coconut Liquid Aminos.
*Chili Powder: We used Penzeys Regular Chili Powder as it does not have heat to it, just great flavor. Feel free to use your favorite chili powder, just make sure it is a mild chili powder with no heat.
*Serving: Makes approx. 1 ½ cups
*Storage: Refrigerate, use within 7 days.