It’s all about those antioxidant-rich spices and herbs, and this Lebanese Soy Curls and Pea Stew is an explosion of warming aromatic flavors. A nod to Lebanese pea stew, bazilla, this hearty dish is bursting with wholesome ingredients like: protein-packed soy curls, sweet peas, tasty carrots, and rich tomatoes. Served this tastiness over fluffy rice or quinoa for a satisfying meal that is sure to please!
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, no highly processed ingredients.
- 1 medium onion, fine dice
- ¾ cup grated carrots
- 2 Tablespoons garlic, finely minced
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 – 14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups water (or broth)
- 1 cup vegetable broth *(See notes for ratio)
- 1 ½ cups soy curls *
- 13 oz. package frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoon dried minced onion flakes
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- ½ + 1/8 teaspoon coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ¼ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
Other Optional Ingredients:
- Steamed Rice (or other grain: quinoa, millet, etc)
- Chopped Parsley
- In a small bowl, measure out all the Seasoning/Spices Ingredients, mix well, set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined Dutch oven, skillet or similar stock pot, add the chopped onion and carrot; sauté over medium heat until they begin to soften, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Add a tablespoon or so of water if they start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, add the tomato paste and Seasoning/Spices mix, sauté to release their fragrance, about 30 seconds to one minute.
- Then add the petite diced tomatoes, veggie broth, and water, bring to boil, then immediately lower to a simmer.
- Add the soy curls. Stir well to incorporate all the ingredients, pushing the soy curls down into the mixture to ensure they are covered by liquid, then cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, test the flavors, add the peas stir to incorporate, also add more spices, if necessary, to achieve the level of flavor you desire. Cook for another 5 minutes, then discard the bay leaf.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice or quinoa with freshly chopped parsley.
*Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients. If using a brand other than Pacific that has a mild/mellow flavor, you may wish to use 2 cups broth and ½ cup water.
*Soy Curls: We found it challenging to find soy curls at our local grocery stores. We ended up buying them from Amazon. We purchased Butler Soy Curls 100% natural, no additives or preservatives, non-GMO, grown without chemical pesticides. However, if you want to make this dish without soy curls, you can add 1 or 2 cans of your favorite beans.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Makes: 4 servings
*Storage: Refrigerate, use within 7 days.