A fun twist on a classic American comfort food dish, this Easy Vegan Pizza Chili is a delicious pizza flavored chili base loaded with veg and beans that is sure to get rave reviews.
- 1 medium yellow onion, fine dice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, fine dice (optional) *
- 1 green bell pepper, small dice
- ½ red bell pepper, small dice
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 – [ 15.5 oz. jar ] mild salsa *
- 1 ½ cups pizza sauce *
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] kidney beans, drained and rinsed *
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] pinto beans, drained and rinsed *
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons regular chili powder *
- ½ to 1 teaspoons sea salt (+/- ) *
- Baked potato
- Steamed rice
- Tortilla chips
- Avocado chunks
- Place the Spice/Herb Ingredients in a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined Dutch oven or similar stock pot, add the diced onions, red and green bell peppers, and jalapeno peppers; sauté over medium heat until they begin to soften, approximately 7 to 9 minutes. Add a couple of tablespoons or so of water if they start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Add the minced garlic, sauté for one minute.
- Add all Base Ingredients and Spice/Herb mix, stir well to combine. Bring to a boil, then immediately lower to a simmer. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the onions and peppers are perfectly tender. Remove from the stove.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to marry. Serve over a baked potato, with steam rice, or accompanied with tortilla chips and/or avocado chunks.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: 4 to 5