For when you are craving all the deliciousness of lasagna without the layers and baking, we’ve got an ultra-satisfying, comforting Veggie Skillet Lasagna that totally fits the ticket. Punch my card please! It’s easy, it’s utterly delicious, and it’s full of amazing plant powerhouse goodness. Protein packed lentils and wholesome veggies all bathed in an aromatic sauce topped with dollops of flavorful vegan creamy cheese makes for an easy dish that you simply won’t be able to get enough.
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, no highly processed ingredients.
- 1 cup yellow onions, finely diced
- 1 cup zucchini, small cubes
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, finely minced
- 2 cups marinara sauce *
- ¼ cup vegetable broth *
- 1 – 14 oz. can brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- 10 oz. fusilli pasta (brown rice or pasta of choice)
- 2 cups baby spinach
Optional Herb/Spices Ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (+/-)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (+/-)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (+/-)
- ¼ teaspoon dried crushed fennel (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (+/-)
“Cheese Dollups” Ingredients:
- ½ cup vegan cream cheese *
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- Sprinkle Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Sprinkle chopped fresh parsley
- Sprinkle dried red pepper flakes
- Put a pot of water on to boil the pasta. Bring to a boil, then add the pasta to cook. Cook until the pasta is al dente, then drain, rinse with cold water to remove excess starch, and set aside.
- In the meantime, make the “Cheese Dollops” by placing all the “Cheese Dollop” ingredients into a small bowl and mix well to combine. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined Dutch oven, skillet or similar stock pot, add the diced onions and zucchini, sauté over medium heat until they are tender, approximately 7 to 10 minutes, largely based upon how tender you prefer the zucchini. Add a tablespoon or so of water if they start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Add the minced garlic, sauté for 30 seconds, then add the marinara sauce, vegetable broth, and if needed add Optional Herb/Spices Ingredients. Simmer for 4 minutes. Then add the lentils, baby spinach, and cooked pasta, mix well to combined, then simmer for a few minutes to heat through.
- Take the “Cheese Dollops” mixture and place them in dolloped sections over top of the skillet mixture (see photos for reference), then place the lid on the skillet and simmer on low for a few minutes, just to heat the “Cheese Dollops” through, then serve with a sprinkle of freshly chopped parsley, Vegan Parmesan Cheese, and dried red pepper flakes.
*Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients.
*Marinara Sauce: You can use our Easy Marinara Sauce or use your favorite marinara sauce for this recipe. Our Easy Marinara Sauce is super flavorful, so you may not need the extra seasoning from the Herb/Spice Ingredients. You can always add it as you go when placing the marinara sauce in the skillet and taste testing for flavor. Additionally, the sauce to pasta ratio is a personal preference, so feel free to add more marinara sauce if needed.
*Fennel: We used our Easy Marinara Sauce which does not have fennel, we like to add a little fennel to create an almost “sausage-like” flavor. This is completely optional, but it adds so much dimension.
*Vegan Cream Cheese: You can use our Vegan Cream Cheese recipe, or you can use your favorite vegan cream cheese. We used Kite Hill Cream Cheese because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, and we had some in the fridge.
*Nutritional Yeast: We used 2 Tablespoons of nutritional yeast to add some extra flavor; however, 1 Tablespoon adds nice dimension too.
*Storage: Refrigerate, use within 4 days.
*Makes: 4 to 5 servings