Healthy, cozy, and delightfully tangy, this Vegan Sauerkraut Potato Casserole is a perfect way to ring in the New Year or any day of the week.
- 8 to 10 oz. Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced *
- 2 Tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari *
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons ume plum vinegar *
- ¼ cup [raw] cashews *
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground caraway seeds (+/-) *
- ¼ to 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- 1 – [ 14 oz. can ] sauerkraut *
- 1 gala apple, peeled, small dice *
- 5 to 5 ½ cups potatoes, peeled, 1-inch dice *
Optional Topping Ingredients:
- Freshly chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Place the Herb/Spice Ingredients into a small bowl, whisk, set aside.
- In a large, deep skillet, over medium heat, add the sliced mushrooms and tamari, sauté for 5 to 6 minutes to reduce the mushrooms, once reduced, remove the mushrooms and any remaining liquid onto a plate/bowl. Set aside.
- In the same large skillet, add the diced onions, sauté over medium-high heat for 7 to 9 minutes to soften, then add the finely minced garlic and tomato paste. Sauté, stirring constantly over medium heat for one minute.
- Then add all the remaining Skillet Ingredients (including the cashews), stir to thoroughly mix. Simmer for 8 minutes. (Do not add the mushrooms back to the skillet). Remove from the stove, allow to slightly cool, then add the mixture to a high-speed blender. Blend on high until smooth and emulsified, then add this sauce mixture back into the skillet.
- Next add the Herb/Spice Mix, stir well, then add the sauerkraut, diced fuji apple, and sauteed mushrooms (including remaining mushroom liquid), stir to incorporate. Simmer for several minutes.
- Add the potatoes (see Recipe Notes), stir to thoroughly coat, then push the diced potatoes down into the sauce to submerge. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and place into a 350 F oven for 30 to 60 minutes* (see Recipe Notes on timings).
- When the potatoes are perfectly tender, remove from the oven, remove the cover, and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve with freshly chopped parsley.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: 4 to 5