These Vegan Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs are irresistible and a healthy copycat of Reese’s peanut butter eggs.
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tablespoons almond flour *
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon natural peanut butter *
- ¼ cup + 1 Tablespoon maple sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ to ¾ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- 1 – [ 10 oz. bag ] vegan chocolate chips (+/-) *
- Place all the Filling Ingredients into the food processor and pulse until everything is well combined and smooth, approximately 2 minutes, scrape down about half-way. Place into a bowl, cover, and place in the freezer for 45 minutes to firm up the dough mixture.
- After 45 minutes, pinch a piece of dough and roll it in your hands, if it rolls easily, then you can remove it and begin to shape it. If not, return to the freezer for another 30 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, using your hands – either roll the dough mixture into balls, hand shape into egg shapes, disks, balls, or press into silicone molds for various shapes. If hand shaping or rolling the dough mixture, place the finished shapes/balls onto a wax paper lined plate or baking sheet, and place into the freezer for 40 minutes. If using silicone molds, place the filled molds into the freezer for 40 minutes.
- In the meantime, melt the vegan chocolate chips in the microwave or on the stovetop, stirring constantly (if on the stove) then place into a small bowl. Note: Be sure the chocolate is smooth. Watch it carefully as it can scorch or separate easily if unattended.
- After 40 minutes in the freezer, remove, then take the peanut butter balls/shapes and dip them quickly in and out of the chocolate mixture using two forks, then place on a wax paper lined baking sheet. It’s OK if excess chocolate falls onto the wax paper or puddles around the shapes/balls. Continue process until all the shapes have been dipped in chocolate and placed onto the wax paper. Then place in the freezer for 15 minutes to ensure all the chocolate has set (including the puddling).
- After 15 minutes, remove the chocolate peanut butter cups from the freezer. Optional: With a sharp knife, carefully cut off any excess chocolate that has dripped or puddles onto the onto the wax paper around the balls/shapes before gently freeing the shapes from the wax paper. Refrigerate (or freeze) until ready to eat. If frozen, you may wish to let them sit for 10-20 minutes before enjoying.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: Makes 15 – 2 ½-inch peanut butter eggs