Healthy and flavorful come together in this deliciously cozy southern style Vegan “Ham” Green Bean Potato Soup. Tasty green beans, hearty potatoes, and protein-backed cannellini beans are the star of the show in this rich, savory, and flavorful dish that is sure to please. You won’t believe how easy it is to make this tasty dish! The whole family will be singing your praises with every bite!
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, no highly processed ingredients.
- 1 cup yellow onions, fine dice
- ¼ cup celery, small dice
- ¼ cup carrots, small dice
- 2 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups vegetable broth *
- 2 cups water (or broth)
- 1 – 3 Tablespoons tamari *
- 1 Tablespoon white miso *
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke (+/-)
- 1 teaspoon ume plum vinegar (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 ½ lbs. Russet potatoes, small cubes *
- 1 lb. green beans, (fresh, canned, or frozen) cut into pieces *
- 1 – [ 15.5 oz. can ] cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onions
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried crushed thyme leaves (+/-) *
- ¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary (+/-) *
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (+/-)
Other Optional Ingredients:
- Place the Spice/Herb Ingredients (except the red pepper flakes) in a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel lined Dutch oven/pot (or similarly large stockpot) add the diced onion, celery, and carrots sauté over medium-high heat for 7 to 9 minutes, you want the veggies soft. Add a splash of water (or broth) if the veggies start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Then add the minced garlic, and sauté for one minute. Next add all the remaining ingredients (except the red pepper flakes and cannellini beans), simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes or until the veggies and potatoes are perfectly tender. (See notes on green beans and potatoes).
- Taste test and add additional seasoning to achieve the desired flavor. Stir in the red pepper flakes and cannellini beans, simmer for several minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- Top with a sprinkle of freshly chopped parsley, red pepper flakes and Vegan Parmesan Cheese.
*Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients.
*Dried Thyme Crushed Leaves: We use Penzeys French Thyme. It has amazing flavor. If you can’t find dried crushed thyme leaves, you can use ground thyme, but use half the amount.
*Dried Rosemary: We used 1/8 teaspoon of dried crushed rosemary; if you use ground rosemary, then you may wish to add less. Start low and build your flavors. You can always add more, but you can’t take away.
*Miso: We used Miso Master Organic Mellow White Premium Lite Miso, Certified Gluten Free. Miso really lends itself to balancing flavors when you don’t use oil. You can also use chickpea miso for a soy free version.
*Tamari: We used San J Tamari Soy Sauce, Gluten Free, Reduced Sodium. You can substitute the tamari with reduced sodium soy sauce, Braggs Liquid Aminos, or Braggs Coconut Liquid Aminos.
*Green Beans and Potatoes: The timing of adding the green beans and potatoes is largely dependent upon two things. 1) Are you using fresh green beans, canned or frozen? and 2) How tender do you like your green beans? If you are using fresh green beans and you like them tender, then place them in before you add the potatoes as fresh green beans take some time to get tender; if you add them at the same time as the potatoes, then your potatoes could turn to mush and disintegrate before the green beans reach the desired tenderness. If you are using canned green beans, you can add them in at the same time you add the potatoes. If you are using frozen green beans and you like them tender, then place them in about 10 to 15 minutes before you add the potatoes.
*Green Beans: Use great tasting green beans since they are a prominent part of this dish and contribute a lot to the flavor component of this dish.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Storage: Refrigerate, use within 5 days.