Perfectly soft and chewy on the inside while crisp and golden on the outside, these Vegan Coconut Macaroons are pure heaven.
- 2 ½ cups unsweetened coconut flakes *
- ½ cup almond flour *
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch sea salt *
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons cashew butter *
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
Other Optional Ingredients:
- 1 cup vegan semi-sweet (or dark) chocolate chips, melted
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or silicone baking pad), set aside.
- Place the coconut flakes into a food processor, process for 1 minute until broken up.
- Then place all the remaining Dry Ingredients and all the Wet Ingredients with the chopped coconut flakes into the food processor, process until the mixture comes together, about 30 seconds, then place into a large bowl.
- Scoop up a slightly rounded 1 tablespoon of cookie dough, roll into a tight ball, set onto the cookie sheet, slightly press down. OR use a small cookie scoop, scoop up the dough into the cookie scoop, flattening it hard up against the side of the bowl, and click out the dough onto the cookie sheet. Try to keep the cookies in similar size and shape for even baking.
- Bake in a preheated 375 F oven (center rack) for 12 to 13 minutes until lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack.
- If coating the bottoms in chocolate, wait until the cookies are completely cooled before beginning. Place the chocolate chips in a small microwaveable bowl, then microwave and heat for 30 seconds to melt the chocolate. Stir, repeat in 10 second intervals until the chocolate is completely melted. Be careful to watch the chocolate carefully as it burns easily.
- Take each macaroon cookie and dunk the cookie bottom into the melted chocolate, give a tiny shake to remove any excess chocolate, then lay it on its side on the cookie rack to dry. Repeat until all the macaroon bottoms are dipped into the chocolate. Allow for the chocolate to complete set, then transfer to a tightly covered container.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: Makes 16 to 18 cookies