This healthy, oil-free Vegan Cheesy Potato and Broccoli Pot Pie is a fun and flavorful twist on traditional pot pies.
- 8 cups Russet potatoes, peeled, 5/8th inch cubes *
- 1 – [ 12.6 oz. bag ] frozen baby broccoli florets *
- 1 medium carrot – thinly sliced rounds
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- Sprinkle sea salt
- 3 cups cooked potatoes, carrots, red bell peppers (from boiled ingredients) *
- ¼ cup unsweetened plain plant milk
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth *
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ume plum vinegar *
- ¼ teaspoon hot sauce *
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari *
- 1 teaspoon natural peanut butter *
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast (+/-)
Sauce Herb/Spice Ingredients:
- 2 Tablespoon dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- Pinch regular chili powder *
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ to 1 ¼ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- Pinch black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper *
- 8 – [ 6 inch round ] almond flour tortillas *
- Preheat the oven to 350 F, use center rack placement.
- Defrost the baby broccoli florets then microwave and/or steam to desired tenderness, drain off any water, set aside.
- Place the Sauce Herb/Spice Ingredients (except the cayenne pepper) into a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- Place the diced potatoes, carrots, and red bell peppers into a medium stockpot, cover with water, bring to a boil, gently boil just until fork tender (about 10 to 15 minutes). Drain off the water, then place 3 cups of the boiled ingredients (potatoes, carrots, red bell pepper mix) in a high-speed blender. Place the other 5 cups into a large bowl and set aside.
- Add all the Sauce Ingredients and Spice/Herb Mix into the high-speed blender with the boiled potatoes, carrots, and red bell peppers. Blend on high until smooth and emulsified. Taste test the sauce, adjust flavors if needed, then add in the pinch of cayenne pepper, pulse until smooth.
- Place the cooked/steamed broccoli into the bowl with the 5 cups of boiled potatoes, carrots, and bell peppers, season the mixture of broccoli and boiled potatoes, carrots, and bell peppers with sea salt. Very gently toss, then pour the sauce into the bowl, gently fold in.
- Line a small 11x7x3 casserole dish with the tortillas (see blog post on how to do this), then pour in the broccoli, potato, cheese mixture, then finish with remaining tortillas and fold over the tortillas to cover the surface.
- Place in a preheated 350 F oven for 20 minutes. Watch carefully toward the end to prevent overbrowning. If crust starts to overbrown, place a flat piece of foil over top. Remove after 20 minutes, allow to set undisturbed for 10 minutes to allow the pot pie to set up. Slice and serve!
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
Nutritional Information does not include the Siete Almond Flour Tortillas