Rich, creamy, and delicious, this Vegan Beet Macaroni Salad is the quintessential picnic side with a hint of sweet, earthy beet flavor!
- 8 to 10 oz. dry elbow macaroni *
- ¾ cup celery ribs, diced
- ½ cup red onion, fine dice
- ½ cup grated carrots
- 1 cup (raw) cashews *
- 4 small beets, cooked/canned *
- 3 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (+/-)
- 1 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar (+/-)
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup (+/-)
- 1 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoons yellow mustard (+/-) *
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons water *
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ to 1 ¼ teaspoons sea salt (+/-) *
Other Optional Ingredients:
- ¾ cup chopped beets, ¼ inch dice
- Beet juice (from can of beets or from beet cooking water) *
- Chopped Beets, ¼ inch dice
- Cook the elbow macaroni according to package directions, rinse thoroughly with cold water (rinse until cold), shake off excess water, set aside to use in Step 3.
- In the meantime, place the cashews into a small bowl, cover with boiling water and allow to sit for 15 minutes, then drain off and discard the water. Place the soaked cashews into a high-speed blender along with all the remaining Dressing Ingredients. Blend until smooth and emulsified. Set aside.
- Place all the Salad Ingredients (including the cooked and cooled elbow macaroni) into a large bowl, mix to evenly distribute the ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the mixture, gently toss. Taste test for flavor. Add more seasoning, if needed. Best if served immediately. Refrigerate leftovers.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: 5 to 6 (makes 6 cups)