These humble and flavorful Vegan Baked Parmesan Rice Cakes are ultra-satisfying and a great way to use up leftover rice.
- 3 cups cooked and refrigerated rice *
- 1/3 cup grated carrots
- 1/3 cup minced red onion
- ½ cup + 2 Tablespoons Vegan Parmesan Cheese *
- ½ cup panko crumbs *
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup hot tap water
- 2 Tablespoons cashew butter *
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ¼ to 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- Vegan Basil Aioli *
- Side salad
- Roasted/steamed veggies
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place all the Spice/Herb Ingredients into a small box, whisk, set aside.
- Place all the Base Ingredients and Spice/Herb Mix into a bowl, mix well to evenly distribute the ingredients. Then use your hands to really smash the ingredients thoroughly together.
- Now take a measuring cup or wooden spoon and mash the ingredients for approximately 30 seconds to create some slight stickiness. (See blog post for more details)
- Scoop up a handful sized ball (shy ½ cup) amount of rice mixture and with dampened hands roll it into a ball (in your hands), then flatten it into a thick disk, then place on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Continue until all the rice mixture has been rolled into balls, flattened into a thick disk, and placed on the baking sheet.
- Place in a preheated 350 F oven. Bake for 20 minutes, then flip and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with optional Vegan Basil Aioli.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: 3 to 4 (makes 7 rice cakes)