- 1 medium yellow onion, small dice
- 1 carrot, small dice
- 2 celery ribs, small dice
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth *(See notes for ratio)
- 3 ½ cup water (or broth)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 sundried tomato halves, finely chopped *
- 1–3 teaspoons miso
- 3 cups red potatoes, skins on, small dice
- 1 – 15.5 oz. can cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon Vegan Parmesan Cheese or nutritional yeast (optional)
- 3 cups Tuscan kale, vein removed, strips-cut into thirds
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed thyme leaves *
- 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon ground rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flake (+/-)
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Chopped parsley
- Red pepper flake
- Place the Spice/Herb Ingredients (except the red pepper flake) in a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- In the large ceramic/enamel lined Dutch oven/pot (or similarly large stockpot) add the diced onion, carrots, and celery, sauté over medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes (add a little splash of water or broth if sticking.)
- Then add the minced garlic and sauté for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, water, lemon juice, finely chopped sundried tomatoes, Spice/Herb Mix, and Vegan Parmesan Cheese (or nutritional yeast), then increase the heat to a boil, stir well, then immediately lower to a low simmering boil. Then add the diced red potatoes. Cover and simmer until the potatoes are almost tender (approx. 15 to 20 minutes). Then add the miso and cannelloni beans, stir to incorporate, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Taste test for flavor, and add additional seasoning to achieve the desired flavor. Add the dried red pepper flakes and chopped Tuscan kale. Simmer until the potatoes and kale reaches the desired tenderness. Discard the bay leaf.
- Ladle soup into a bowl and top Vegan Parmesan Cheese, fresh chopped parsley, and red pepper flakes.
*Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients. Pacific Organic Veggie broth does have a strong flavor, so less both is required. If using a mild or mellow veggie broth, use 4 cups veggie broth and 1 cup water.
*Sundried Tomatoes: Be sure to select oil free sundried tomatoes. They are typically dried like dates. We use Mediterranean Organic Sundried Roman Tomatoes.
*Miso: We used Miso Master Organic Mellow White Premium Lite Miso, Certified Gluten Free. Miso really lends itself to balancing flavors when you don’t use oil. You can also substitute with chickpea miso for a soy free version.
*Thyme Leaves: We use Penzeys French Thyme. It has amazing flavor. Please note that dried crushed thyme leaves is not the same as ground thyme. You can use either in this recipe. We used dried crushed thyme leaves, so if you are using ground thyme, scale back a little more than half of the amount used, and check for flavor. Adjust as preferred.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: 4 to 5
*Storage: Refrigerate and use within 5 days.