Roasted sweet potatoes served with a tasty tahini sauce makes for a delicious and healthy Whole Food Plant Based side dish. No oil, no refined sugars, no processed ingredients, and gluten free.
Sweet Potato Ingredients:
- 3 large sweet potatoes, skins on, diced to 1 inch cubes
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
Tahini Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 Tablespoons tahini
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon lime juice
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened almond milk (or other plant milk)
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon water
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon 100% pure organic maple syrup
- pinch of ground sage
- 1 teaspoon freeze dried chives (optional)
- pinch of mustard.
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (+/- to taste)
- 3 cracks of freshly ground pepper (+/- to taste)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place 2 – 14 x 20 baking sheets into the oven to heat.
- Cut 3 large sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes, skins on. Place into a large bowl. Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper.
- When the oven is hot and both the baking sheets are hot, carefully remove one sheet pan and dump the cut-up sweet potatoes onto the baking sheet and spread out evenly. The potatoes should sizzle when hitting the hot baking sheet. This is what you are looking for.
- Next, remove the other hot baking sheet from the over and place it on top of the sweet potatoes. This baking sheet will fit down on top of the potatoes creating somewhat of a seal. This will allow the sweet potatoes to steam and roast at the same time and prevent them from drying out.
- Carefully place the baking sheets back into the oven and bake for 17 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the Tahini Sauce by combining all the ingredients into a small bowl and whisking until smooth. Refrigerate until you are ready to use.
- After 17 minutes, remove the sweet potatoes from the oven; test the potatoes to see if they are done by sliding a sharp knife into a larger potato. If the knife slides in cleanly, they are done. If not done, replace the top baking sheet and return to the oven for another 5-7 minutes until tender.
- When the potatoes are done, remove the baking sheet from the oven and remove the top baking sheet. Move the oven rack to the top of the oven, set the oven to high broil, and return the sweet potatoes to the oven (minus the top baking sheet) and place directly under the broiler and broil on high for 5 minutes. You are looking to get a brown crust on the top. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are lightly browned, remove from the oven. Take a very thin edged spatula and run it under hot water, then flip it upside-down and quickly run the spatula underneath the potatoes to loosen them from the baking sheet.
- To serve, place a layer of sweet potatoes on a wide plate, then sprinkle generously with green onions, then lay down another layer of sweet potatoes and then generously sprinkle with green onions, finish with remaining sweet potatoes, then generously sprinkle with green onions. Drizzle the tahini sauce over the sweet potatoes and green onions.
*A key element of this dish is the green onions. The green onion flavor component really compliments the sweet potatoes and tahini sauce. Each on their own (sweet potatoes and tahini sauce), while great, it is the green onions that really puts the flavor over the top.
*A thin edged spatula works best on removing the sweet potatoes from the baking sheet as there is no oil to prevent sticking. If you do not have a thin edged spatula, use parchment paper. However, the sweet potatoes will not be as crisp. Running hot water over the spatula, and then inverting the spatula will help loosen the sweet potatoes from the baking sheet without damaging too many.
*When placing one baking sheet over top of the other, do not turn the top baking sheet up-side-down. Place the top baking sheet on top of the other baking sheet right-side-up. Think like how you would stack them, one fitting on top of the other. In other words, the bottom side of the top baking sheet should be touching the sweet potatoes.