Little rolls of crunchy deliciousness, these Sweet Potato Black Bean Taquitos are super easy to make and full of healthy, wholesome goodness. Flavorful, nutritious, and oh-so-satisfying, our tasty taquitos are filled with roasted sweet potatoes and perfectly seasoned black beans. This recipe boasts no oil, is gluten-free and utterly scrumptious making it an ultimate Whole Food Plant Based taquito recipe! Annnnd, if your feeling frisky, add them to a bed of greens with corn, tomatoes, avocado, red cabbage, onions, jalapeños, and whatever yummy additions you’d like for a fabulous taquito bowl the whole family will love. Vegan, no oil, no sugar, no highly processed ingredients, and gluten free.
Cubed Baked Sweet Potato Ingredients:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes, skins on
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- Sprinkle black pepper
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- Sprinkle cayenne pepper
- 8 tortillas (of choice) *
Sweet Potato Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Place the oven racks towards the middle, avoiding the lower oven rack placement.
- Place the seasonings listed in the Cubed Baked Sweet Potato Ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Line a 14 x 20 baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into one-inch cubes, then place in a medium sized mixing bowl. Sprinkle with the Cubed Baked Sweet Potato Ingredients seasoning mixture and then place onto the parchment paper, spreading out to a single layer.
- Bake in a 400 F oven for 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Remove and set aside until ready assemble the taquitos.
Taquito Assembly Instructions
- Lower the heat of the oven to 350F. (It was previously 400 F.)
- Cover a smaller baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the baked sweet potatoes and the can of black beans (drained and rinsed), smoked paprika, sea salt, chili powder and cayenne pepper. Mix well, then using a potato masher, slightly mash the mixture together to form a semi-paste. You do not want to create mush, but the mixture should hold together when you scoop it up.
- Take about ¼ cup of the sweet potato/bean mixture and place it in a log formation onto a tortilla and tightly roll it up, then place the open flap end-side down onto a parchment covered baking sheet. Continue to roll 8 taquitos in total. When you are finished rolling all the taquitos, bake in a 350 F oven for 15 minutes. Then dependent upon the tortilla brand used, you may wish to broil them for a few minutes to lightly brown them up.
- Serve in a taquito bowl, drizzled with Southwestern Dressing and/or Pickled Jalapeno Cilantro Dressing and top with cilantro and pickled jalapeno peppers. We used both dressings and LOVED the combo.
*Tortillas: We used Siete Almond Flour Tortillas. We have provided a link for visual purposes. You can find them at most health food stores in either the refrigerator or freezer sections.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: Makes 8 taquitos
*Storage: Use within 5 days.