Bursting with spring, sunshiney flavors and feels, this easy and nutrient-packed Italian Broccolini Millet Bowl with Lemony Parsley Sauce is full of beautiful flavor, satisfying goodness, and superfood nourishment. Perfectly seasoned broccolini, peas, and cannelloni beans with chewy, nutty millet; drizzled with a Lemony Parsley Sauce (aka dream sauce); and sprinkled with vegan parm and lemon zest takes this bountiful bowl to the next level of fresh, wholesome goodness – total veggie paradise!
Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients, and gluten free.
- 2/3 cup red onion, fine dice
- 2/3 cup red bell pepper, fine dice
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 8 to 10 oz. broccolini (or tiny broccoli florets)
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 to ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon miso
- 1 – 15 oz. can cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 ½ cups cooked millet (or barley, couscous, quinoa etc.)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves *
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- Pinch coriander
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (+/- to taste) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Italian Lemony Parsley Sauce (See recipe below)
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- ½ teaspoon of fresh lemon zest (optional)
- Cook the millet (or barley, quinoa, etc.) per package directions. Set aside.
- Make the Lemony Parsley Sauce (see recipe below in blog post).
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined Dutch oven, skillet or similar stock pot, add the red onion and red bell peppers, sauté over medium-high heat for several minutes. Then add the minced garlic, sauté for 30 seconds, then add the lemon juice, water, miso, and all the Spice/Herb ingredients, stir to combine.
- Add the frozen peas, cannelloni beans, then lay the broccolini (cut off and discard the touch ends) on top, increase the heat until boiling, then immediately lower to a simmer, cover with a lid, and cook until the broccolini reaches the desired tenderness. Add additional water by the Tablespoon as the water evaporates.
- To assemble, place some cooked millet (or cooked quinoa, barley, etc.) in a bowl, add the seasoned beans/pea mixture, then lay the broccolini on top. Drizzle with the Lemony Parsley Sauce, sprinkle some Vegan Parmesan Cheese, and a tiny sprinkle of lemon zest.
*Miso: We used Miso Master Organic Mellow White Premium Lite Miso, Certified Gluten Free. Miso really lends itself to balancing flavors when you don’t use oil. If you are going to live the Whole Food Plant Based lifestyle, then you will quickly find that miso is your friend. Miso is simply a paste made from fermented soybeans, barley or rice malt. We use a gluten-free mellow white miso. It is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, and most grocery or health food stores carry it these days. You can find it in the refrigerator section. A lot of Vegans and Whole Food Plant Basers call it “the secret weapon” because it really brings that rich umami flavor forward in a lot of dishes. Since we discovered it, we use it a lot. Simply because it really adds something special to our dishes that you just can’t get with other ingredients. It has a long refrigerator shelf life because it is fermented. So, if you can’t find it locally, we suggest that when you are taking any trips out of town, find a store that carries it, take a small ice chest and stock up.
*Dried Thyme: If using ground thyme, use ¼ to ½ the amount indicated in the recipe.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Storage: Refrigerate and use within 5 days.