Nourishing and cozy, this oil-free Healthy Tunisian Chickpea Orzo Soup is brimming with delicious plant-based ingredients.
- 1 medium yellow onion, fine dice
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth *
- 4 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice (+/-)
- 1 – [ 14.5 oz. can ] petite diced tomatoes
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onions
- ¾ to 1 ¼ teaspoons harissa spice blend powder (+/-) *
- ¾ teaspoon cumin (+/-)
- ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika (+/-)
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika (+/-)
- 1/8 teaspoon coriander (+/-)
- ¼ to 1 ¼ teaspoons sea salt (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda *
- ½ to 2/3 cup dry orzo pasta *
- 2 to 3 cups kale, chopped
- ¼ cup hummus *
- Freshly chopped cilantro or parsley
- Place the Spice/Herb Ingredients in a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined pot or similar stock soup pot, add the diced onions, sauté over medium-high heat until the onions begin to soften, approximately 7 to 9 minutes, stirring periodically to prevent burning. Add a tablespoon or so of water if they start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Add the minced garlic, sauté for 30 seconds, then add all the remaining Base Ingredients and Spice/Herb Mix, stir well to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower to a low-boiling simmer, add the baking soda, stir well.
- Simmer for 7 minutes, then add the orzo pasta. Simmer until the orzo pasta is tender.
- Add the hummus, stir well to combine, then add the kale. Simmer until the kale has reached the desired tenderness.
- Remove the soup from the stove and allow to sit for 5 minutes for the flavors to marry. Top with freshly chopped cilantro.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: 4 to 5
*Nutrition Information: Using a hummus that has a smaller amount of tahini or no tahini at all will reduce the fat content.