When all the must haves come together in the most delicious way, it creates a beautiful, nutritious, and comforting meal. Easy to prepare, full of aromatic spices and zesty flavors, made in a flash, simple ingredients, and makes you say “Mmmm Mmmm,” this fun Healthy Mexican Fried Rice makes dinner a breeze. Tasty and oh-so-satisfying, this dish will have everyone running back for seconds. Whole Food Plant Based, Vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients and gluten free.
- 1 ½ cups bell peppers, cubed (mix of yellow, red, or orange)
- 1 large jalapeno pepper (or 2 small), fine dice
- ½ medium red onion, small dice (about 1 cup)
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 cups cooked and refrigerated brown rice
- ¾ cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 – [ 15 oz. can ] black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa *
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon dried coriander
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (+/-) *
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Chopped green onions
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Hot Sauce
- Combine all the Spice/Herb Ingredients in a small bowl, stir to incorporate. Set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel lined Dutch oven/pot or similarly large stockpot, add the diced onion, bell peppers, and jalapeno pepper. Sauté over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes to soften them. Add a splash of water if they start to stick.
- Once the onions and peppers are softened, then turn down the heat a little, and add the minced garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Then add the Spice/Herb Mix over top of the sautéed veggies, stir, and heat the spices to release their fragrance, about one minute. Stir the spices constantly.
- Next stir in the cooked brown rice, stir constantly for one minute.
- Then add the corn, black beans and salsa. Cook for a few minutes to heat through.
- Serve immediately and top with your favorite toppings.
*Salsa: Use your favorite salsa.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Serving: Makes 4 servings.
*Storage: Refrigerate, use within 5 days.