Comforting, low-fat, and flavorful, this easy French Country Cabbage Lentil Soup boasts nourishing veggies and highlights herbaceous goodness.
- 1 medium yellow onion, fine dice
- 2 medium carrots, cut into penny rounds
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- ¾ cup vegan red wine *
- 1 – [ 14 oz. can ] petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth *
- 5 cups water
- 3 to 3 ½ cups roughly shredded cabbage *
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda *
- ½ to ¾ cup dry brown lentils (or French lentils), picked through and rinsed *
- 3 to 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed (½-inch cubes) *
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoons herbes de provence (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon dried crushed thyme leaves (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon ground fennel (+/-) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (+/-)
- ½ to 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt (+/-) *
- 1 to 2 cups chopped kale (or fresh baby spinach)
- Place the Spice/Herb Ingredients (except the sea salt) in a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined Dutch oven or similar stock pot, add the diced onions and carrots; sauté over medium heat until they begin to soften, approximately 7 to 9 minutes. Add a tablespoon or so of water if they start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Next add the minced garlic, sauté, stirring constantly for one minute, then increase the heat and add the red wine, allow to come to a boil. Boil for several minutes to allow the alcohol to evaporate. Then add all the remaining Base Ingredients (except the baking soda, lentils, and potatoes) and the Spice/Herb Mix (no salt). Stir well to mix, bring to a boil, then immediately lower to a simmer.
- Add the baking soda, stir constantly for 30 seconds to allow the baking soda to settle, then add the lentils, stir. Cover the pot (ajar), simmer with a gentle low boil for 25 minutes (stirring occasionally)
- After 25 minutes, then add the cubed potatoes. Continue to simmer covered (ajar) until the lentils and potatoes are tender, approximately another 10 to 20 minutes.
- When the lentils and potatoes are tender, add the sea salt. Simmer uncovered for another 5 minutes. If adding kale (or spinach), add at this time.
- Remove from the stove and allow to sit for 10 minutes for the flavors to marry.
*Please reference the blog post for Tips for Success, Pantry Items Used, Storage and Freezing, and Kitchen Products Used.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Servings: 5 to 6 (makes 10 cups)