This hearty Creamy Vegetable Soup feels indulgent with its ultra-creamy, nut-free broth and is jam-packed with powerhouse veggies and warming spices. Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free, refined sugar free, gluten free, no highly processed ingredients.
Creamy Broth Ingredients:
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- ½ cup celery ribs, diced
- ½ cup carrots, grated
- 1 medium zucchini, peeled, diced *
- 2 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon GF flour (or flour of choice) *
- 10 oz. Russet potatoes, peeled, fine dice *
- ½ cup corn
- 1 cup vegetable broth *
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon miso
- ¼ cup unsweetened plain plant milk
Additional Soup Ingredients:
- ½ cup vegetable broth *
- 1 cup water *
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Tablespoon tamari
- 2 teaspoons ume plum vinegar
- 2 cups Russet potatoes, peeled, cubed *
- 16 oz. frozen mixed vegetables *
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onion flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried crushed thyme leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground rosemary *
- ¼ teaspoon dried ground mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 ¼ teaspoon sea salt (+/- to taste) *
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Chopped flat leaf parsley or microgreens
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Place the Spice/Herb Ingredients in a small bowl, mix well, set aside.
- In a large ceramic/enamel-lined Dutch oven, skillet or similar stock pot, add the diced onions, celery, grated carrot and zucchini; sauté over medium heat until they begin to soften, approximately 7 to 9 minutes. Add a tablespoon or so of vegetable broth or water if they start to stick and/or to prevent burning.
- Add the minced garlic and flour, sauté for one minute, stirring constantly, then add all the remaining Cream Broth Ingredients, bring to a boil, cover with a lid, then lower to a simmer. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until the potatoes and veggies and very tender, stirring occasionally.
- Once the potatoes and veggies are very tender, remove the pot from the stove, set aside to slightly cool, then puree in a high-speed blender until smooth, then return to the pot, taste test for seasoning, then add Spice/Herb mix and all the Additional Soup Ingredients, and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve topped with chopped fresh parsley and Vegan Parmesan Cheese or your favorite toppings and/or with our Quinoa Flatbread.
*TIPS: If you want to create this delicious soup faster, while the Cream Broth Base is cooking, you can take the 2 cups of peeled and cubed potatoes (Additional Soup Ingredients) and place them in a pan, cover with water, add a sprinkle of sea salt and gently boil them just until tender. Then add them in at Step 4. This will significantly reduce the cooking time in Step 4 since the potatoes will already be tender. Then you will only need about 10 to 15 minutes in Step 4 to allow the spices to marry instead of 20 to 30 minutes (or possibly longer – largely dependent upon the size of the cubed potatoes).
*Vegetable Stock: We use Pacific Organic Low Sodium Vegetable Stock. We love this brand because it is Whole Food Plant Based compliant, as it does not contain MSG, has no oil, and does not contain any highly-processed ingredients.
*Water and Vegetable Broth: Yes, the water and vegetable broth are in the recipe twice.
*Tamari: We used San J Tamari Soy Sauce, Gluten Free, Reduced Sodium. You can substitute the tamari with reduced sodium soy sauce, Braggs Liquid Aminos, or Braggs Coconut Liquid Aminos.
*Dried Thyme Crushed Leaves: We use Penzeys French Thyme. It has amazing flavor. If you can’t find dried crushed thyme leaves, you can use ground thyme, but use half the amount.
*Miso: We used Miso Master Organic Mellow White Premium Lite Miso, Certified Gluten Free. Miso really lends itself to balancing flavors when you don’t use oil. If you are going to live the Whole Food Plant Based lifestyle, then you will quickly find that miso is your friend.
*Ume Plum Vinegar: We used Eden Ume Plum Vinegar. Ume Plum Vinegar is perfect for this recipe as it has that deliciously tangy flavor which complements the soup and pops the flavor. It is relatively inexpensive. We use it quite frequently and it worth requesting it from your local grocery or ordering off of Amazon in our humble opinion. There really isn’t a great substitute for it. You can leave it out with the understanding that the flavor will be different.
*Rosemary: If you are using crushed rosemary leaves (versus ground rosemary powder), grind them into a powder, then measure, or consider using a tad bit more to pop the flavor.
*Frozen Mixed Vegetables: We used Bird’s Eye Classic Frozen Mixed Vegetables which consists of corn, peas, carrots, and green beans.
*Zucchini: The zucchini used is approx. 8 oz. or 1 ½ cups diced. We peeled the zucchini for color purposes only. The green zucchini peel tends to add a slight green cast to the broth. Removing the peel eliminates this creating a beautiful color for the broth.
*Potatoes: The potatoes used is about 2 medium or 1 ½ cups in the cream broth ingredients.
*Flour: We used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All-purpose Baking Flour Blend. You can use the flour of your choice.
*Spice/Herb Ingredients: We added the spices and herbs after the Cream Base was buzzed in the high-speed blender. We have found that sometimes, the blender tends to over-intensify the flavors. We preferred adding them afterwards.
*Sea Salt: Please adjust the sea salt based upon your family’s sea salt preferences and/or based upon dietary needs.
*Quinoa Flatbread: The flatbread you see served with this dish is our basic quinoa flatbread with 2 Tablespoons of added nutritional yeast and an added teaspoon of garlic powder. Then we spread it out and sprinkled the top with our Vegan Parmesan Cheese. You may need to add an extra teaspoon of plant milk if the batter is too thick. Follow the recipe, bake 15 mins., flip bake 4 minutes.
*Makes: 4-5 Servings
*Storage: Refrigerate and use within 5 days.